Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU
I7-870
Graphics
HD 5870
So, I have a nice, stable Mavericks install right now and I'm thinking about upgrading to Yosemite.

My only issue is that when I was setting things up, I mis-configured something. In my Bios I can see UEIF drives. On my startup menu I can see the UEIF drives and the drives show again as P01, P02, P03, etc.

The issue is, I can only boot from my drive if I select it as P01, not from the listed UEIF. So, since the BIOS screen only sees the UEIF form of the drive, if I restart I have to hold F12 and manually select the P01 form of the drive.

My apology if I am not phrasing this correctly, I get a bit mixed up with the difference between UEIF and BIOS.

Essentially, if there was a way to fix this without reinstalling Mavericks, I would do that, and I would like to fix it before I try to install Yosemite. If someone can explain what foolish thing I did, I would appreciated it.

So, I have a nice, stable Mavericks install right now and I'm thinking about upgrading to Yosemite.

My only issue is that when I was setting things up, I mis-configured something. In my Bios I can see UEIF drives. On my startup menu I can see the UEIF drives and the drives show again as P01, P02, P03, etc.

The issue is, I can only boot from my drive if I select it as P01, not from the listed UEIF. So, since the BIOS screen only sees the UEIF form of the drive, if I restart I have to hold F12 and manually select the P01 form of the drive.

My apology if I am not phrasing this correctly, I get a bit mixed up with the difference between UEIF and BIOS.

Essentially, if there was a way to fix this without reinstalling Mavericks, I would do that, and I would like to fix it before I try to install Yosemite. If someone can explain what foolish thing I did, I would appreciated it.

You did nothing foolish. You merely did your install in Legacy mode and have a legacy mode bootloader.
If you were to "show all files" and delete the hidden boot file from the OS X root, then "hide all files" because you don't need to see the hidden files any more, then install Clover UEFI mode you could boot UEFI.

What I would do if I were you, leave your existing install alone. Back it up with TM or clone to an external drive, or even use a new drive for your Yosemite install. If you want to boot UEFI, then create the Clover install USB with the UEFI settings and install Yosemite UEFI.

thanks. there are elements to a non-apple OSX computer that will always have the potential for breaking, and there are minor elements that may not work quite right-this P0 verses UEIF at boot had bothered me but I hadn't been able to easily fix it and didn't want to bother the forums, but with planning a new install I figured I should try to optimize.

Looks like its time to learn Clover.

Thanks

Mike

thanks. there are elements to a non-apple OSX computer that will always have the potential for breaking, and there are minor elements that may not work quite right-this P0 verses UEIF at boot had bothered me but I hadn't been able to easily fix it and didn't want to bother the forums, but with planning a new install I figured I should try to optimize.

Looks like its time to learn Clover.

Thanks

Mike
Just remember that if Windows installs legacy mode (not likely with Win8.1 unless you force it) you need to leave CSM enabled and select the Legacy and UEFI = enabled in order to be able to boot Win8 legacy and OS X UEFI. Or, could be that Win8 installed UEFI and you have a legacy install of OS X. If Win8 is installed UEFI, you will definitely need to use Clover as bootloader to be able to boot it. Chameleon/Chimera can't see the boot files for Windows installed UEFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back