Contribute
Register

[Solved] UEFI BISO won't recognize Sierra Install USB as UEFI drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm trying to do a fresh install of Sierra on my Hackintosh, but when I create an install media using Unibeast and try to boot from it, I can't, because it is not recognized as UEFI. The weird thing is, my bios will recognize other USB sticks and the stick I'm using (without the installer on it) as UEFI, but after I format it and use Unibeast to make it bootable, I encounter the problem above.
Things I did besides googling my problem: instead of using Disk Utility to format, I used the terminal version (diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ USB MBR /dev/disk2), I cleared my CMOS memory using jumpers, and I also upgraded BIOS.

My Motherboard: B85M-G

I'm sorry in advance if this is an easy fix that I am not seeing and am just wasting your time.

Last edited:
I'm trying to do a fresh install of Sierra on my Hackintosh, but when I create an install media using Unibeast and try to boot from it, I can't, because it is not recognized as UEFI. The weird thing is, my bios will recognize other USB sticks and the stick I'm using (without the installer on it) as UEFI, but after I format it and use Unibeast to make it bootable, I encounter the problem above.
Things I did besides googling my problem: instead of using Disk Utility to format, I used the terminal version (diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ USB MBR /dev/disk2), I cleared my CMOS memory using jumpers, and I also upgraded BIOS.

My Motherboard: B85M-G

I'm sorry in advance if this is an easy fix that I am not seeing and am just wasting your time.

Did you partition your USB stick using the GUID Partition Table (GPT) format? And did you select UEFI mode when you create your Unibeast stick?

I read somewhere that for USB sticks I should use MBR, but I will try GPT. Yes, 100% sure I check UEFI mode in Unibeast.
I might also add that my disk utility app is a bit limited(?). I saw people add partitions after formatting USB sticks and being able to choose between MBR and GPT, but I can't do any of that to my USB stick.

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 16.37.39.png

I read somewhere that for USB sticks I should use MBR, but I will try GPT. Yes, 100% sure I check UEFI mode in Unibeast.

I might also add that my disk utility app is a bit limited(?). I saw people add partitions after formatting USB sticks and being able to choose between MBR and GPT, but I can't do any of that to my USB stick.

View attachment 286911

Can you click Partition in the diagram after you cancel the Erase?

Thank you so much! I'm now installing Sierra. I really could have figured out that one on my own, sorry for wasting your time, but I'm still very thankful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back