MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi people need to bring to you attention about the new release of these gigabyte UEFI Bios as there are alot of problems i have discovered with it.

Good points: Faster boot times , Better post screen on boot up ,and it looks nice , no need for dsdt but still need a ssdt

Bad points: Voltage drops all over the motherboard Cpu ,RAM are the unoticeable ones that that cant be seen but can in bios and hw monitors , System fans mainly the CPU fan slow speeds and fast speeds and no movement at all, sytem can switch its self on from just conecting pc to the mains power.

Is it worth it NO dont think so please read before you dare the change over as gigabyte are saying you change it its your problem wait for the next flash revision it will sort it out. Not what you want to hear all these problems and there warranty doesnt cover it.

Long and short of it dont swap over yet you will be getting a tempermentale rig when you had a rock solid rig.

If you do venture that way delete the extra folder from your osx install before doing the bios change as you wont get in with it in place boot in with unibeast after the bios change re-run multibeast with user dsdt and repair system perms but before pressing install make sure you delete any dsdt.aml files you have.

SSDT you still need 1 standard 1 will work but the over clocked 1s dont as you cant turn the change real time in os off in bios which stops the upto 4.2 ghz ssdt working properly.

THE FINAL CHOICE IS YOURS BUT PLEASE READ FIRST SO YOU NO WHAT YOUR GETTING INTO.

wow, this is quite the overly alarmist post if i do say so. I have changed over and other than the overclocking issue you mentioned everything else is working well and stable. There are several nice benefits to being on EFI, such as much faster boots and much more native working configuration. Overclocking for now can be achieved without an SSDT by increasing the default multiplier. Also no SSDT is needed if you are running stock, all the speedstates you normally get work natively. Its pretty cool. Sleep works. Hard drive icons are correct. Lots more is working native now even without any DSDT.
g\

SSDT if u run geekbench no ssdt = score of 4000 ish ssdt 10,000 plus have u all ran geekbench to check

Other hand i am goin to run the system with no cpu fan working and see if it kicks in at a certian temp as it may be a power saving feature

Basically, I echo the OP's sentiments.

The UEFI is good because it requires no DSDT and runs at stock speeds.

However, it is BETA and therefore I have found it incredible unstable. Random total lockups 2-3 times per day on any OS (Win 7, Ubuntu, OSX). You also cannot OC the chip and it run at full speed in OSX yet.

Thankq gord seem to be that u need to set cpu fan to the disable setting so its on constant i keep posting as it goes on but i had os freezes with windows so had to reinstall and it hasnt crashed or froze yet touch wood

have to disagree @gordo, i have OC working as described and no lockups whatsoever in 2 days.

Only thing missing is in-between p-states... pretty minor issue that nonetheless hopefully gets resolved at some point with new SSDT or EFI settings.

Maybe some boards are less stable. So far i have applied only to a z68mx-ud2h.
g\

Well i see that the p and c states are a major not a minor as with out them your g states are affected to, so your rig is not running very healthy at all so would advise on un overclocking if you dont have them.

On the other hand have you benchmarked and 5 hour stress tested your rig on this new bios i have now and reports are not bad after 2 days of bios tweeking but still not able to get a healthy full powered overclocked rig so standard base clock untill gigabyte release the next version which i am in formed will have the option to turn off real time changes in os which the overclock ssdt needs to work properly at this moment in time

Out of interest would any body take the time to download and run a simple test called geekbench in its free 32 bit mode this will give us a inclin if your machine is running correctly scores you should be hitting are as follows

celeron/pentium sandy cpus 2500-6000
i3 cpu 5000-8000
i5 cpu 7000-10000
i7 cpu 8000-12500

simple if you are on i3 ,i5 i7 and are only scoring 4000 ish then you do have problem and i recomend deleteing over clock ssdt and returning to factory clock speeds this will enable cpu to run well or add a ssdt if u havent got 1 be nice to hear some feed back on this .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back