Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Anyone has information about the UEFI mode and Clover EFI Bootloader? Any success story?

Anyone has information about the UEFI mode and Clover EFI Bootloader? Any success story?
I tried... but no luck, in UEFI mode Clover don't see my HDD! I used Clover with boot sectors boot0,booth1....

I have the same issue. My hard drive does not show up at the boot menu

So far no one has been able to get UEFI clover to show OS X partitions on the HP Probook... there seems to be some incompatibility w/ the HFSPLUS.EFI driver for HFS+ volumes. But it does work using BIOS mode Clover. See the "other" Clover thread for more info (http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/85567-clover-boot.html).

How to identify Clover is running in UEFI mode? Just check UEFI only option in BIOS?

My NB is 6470b, I guess the basic framework of its BIOS is much similar with 4530s, for UEFI part, I have 3 options:
1.UEFI only
2.UEFI with CSM
3.Legacy BIOS
I'm not sure about the accurate name of the above 3 entry, just something like that

I'm using option 2, because Win7(64bit) won't install under option 1. Someone said win8 is totaly compatible with UEFI, but I havn't tried that

Based on that configuration, I can boot with Clover USB stick (Press F9 at the POST, and select boot form USB stick, instead of selecting "boot from EFI file"), and then, I can see all the partition on my NB.

So, what's a pure UEFI booting? by selecting "boot from EFI file" plus "UEFI only" option checked?

How to identify Clover is running in UEFI mode? Just check UEFI only option in BIOS?

My NB is 6470b, I guess the basic framework of its BIOS is much similar with 4530s, for UEFI part, I have 3 options:
1.UEFI only
2.UEFI with CSM
3.Legacy BIOS
I'm not sure about the accurate name of the above 3 entry, just something like that

I'm using option 2, because Win7(64bit) won't install under option 1. Someone said win8 is totaly compatible with UEFI, but I havn't tried that

I'm not sure what 'CSM' is so I can't tell you the difference between 1 & 2.

Based on that configuration, I can boot with Clover USB stick (Press F9 at the POST, and select boot form USB stick, instead of selecting "boot from EFI file"), and then, I can see all the partition on my NB.

That sounds like BIOS boot. EFI boot either boots the EFI executable from the standard place (/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, and perhaps 32-bit from /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX32.EFI) -- that's how Windows in UEFI mode installs itself to your harddisk, for example. Or you select the file manually, or from the BIOS boot manager. OS installers can also place entries in the BIOS boot manager.

So, what's a pure UEFI booting? by selecting "boot from EFI file" plus "UEFI only" option checked?

A pure UEFI boot is one that doesn't use 'boot records', instead loading somefile.EFI and executing it instead. Because this is new stuff, each BIOS does it differently and sometimes it can be a bit confusing. HP includes a file browser on the Probook, but my Intel desktop will only boot UEFI to the "standard" place... no file browser included.

I forget something:
My windows7(64bit) has its boot files in the EFI partition which I create it myself, and I can choose the bootx64.efi by selecting "boot from EFI file" at the boot order screen to load windows.Is that a EFI mode boot?

BTW: I remember CSM stands for "compatability service module/(maybe mode?)"

I forget something:
My windows7(64bit) has its boot files in the EFI partition which I create it myself, and I can choose the bootx64.efi by selecting "boot from EFI file" at the boot order screen to load windows.Is that a EFI mode boot?

Yes. Also, if you put it in \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI, select that device as default boot device, and enable UEFI, it should boot there (into Windows using UEFI) automatically.

So far no one has been able to get UEFI clover to show OS X partitions on the HP Probook... there seems to be some incompatibility w/ the HFSPLUS.EFI driver for HFS+ volumes.
I wish I've read this before I spent a couple of evenings wondering why I can't even boot from Clover :confused:
Clover booting and no DSDT tables at all (in the best case scenario) is tempting. But, with laptops we're not quite there yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back