NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6143 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am beginning my first build and I am debating between the Gigabyte (GA-Z77X-UD5H) and Gigabyte (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH) motherboard. The components I have already purchased are:
INTEL CORE I7-3770K
SAMSUNG 256GB SSD 840 PRO
CORSAIR TX850W MOD 80+ BRZ PSU
CRUCIAL 16GB 8X2 D3 1600 DIMM C9
I have heard good things about both boards and forgetting about price I am looking for any advice on which has been more effective and reliable. I plan to mostly use the computer for watching movies and using the Adobe CS suite and eventually setting up a flight simulator. In any case, I would appreciate any and all opinions on my component list and if anyone has had more success with one or the other. I would like to use the thunderbolt which is why I am considering the UP5 but I have heard it will not work unless a device is plugged in while the computer is off. Not the biggest issue but a consideration. Also I am curious about the bluetooth and the best course of action for that. Thank you to anyone taking the time to read this and for any help.

I am beginning my first build and I am debating between the Gigabyte (GA-Z77X-UD5H) and Gigabyte (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH) motherboard. The components I have already purchased are:
INTEL CORE I7-3770K
SAMSUNG 256GB SSD 840 PRO
CORSAIR TX850W MOD 80+ BRZ PSU
CRUCIAL 16GB 8X2 D3 1600 DIMM C9
I have heard good things about both boards and forgetting about price I am looking for any advice on which has been more effective and reliable. I plan to mostly use the computer for watching movies and using the Adobe CS suite and eventually setting up a flight simulator. In any case, I would appreciate any and all opinions on my component list and if anyone has had more success with one or the other. I would like to use the thunderbolt which is why I am considering the UP5 but I have heard it will not work unless a device is plugged in while the computer is off. Not the biggest issue but a consideration. Also I am curious about the bluetooth and the best course of action for that. Thank you to anyone taking the time to read this and for any help.

FWIW, I used a UP5 TH for my first hackintosh. It was very easy to set up and has been rock solid for about 10 months now. I have two Samsung 128MB 840 Pro SSDs and dual boot OS X 10.8.4 and Windows 8.

-bth

I also have a UP5TH motherboard. As for Thunderbolt, I have two peripherals that utilize such and even though I have to turn off my computer actually access the contents of the drives. With my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (good choice) SSD, it takes but mere seconds. Actually, all I have to do is restart my computer then the drives can be recognized; this is of course better since whatever apps I was working (9 times out of 10) will return to their previous state. I thought that the drives weren't mounting, but a quick check in Disk Utility dismissed such a thought. Unlike Firewire, Thunderbolt has a great amount of potential to become a common form of I/O. Better to have the ability then not to.

On a side note; if you're feeling adventurous, you might want to take a look at the new Intel Haswell Chips and their respective Z87 motherboards. If you can get it to work, then you have some decent future proofing. Just something to keep in mind.

Pertaining to the UP5TH, the included Wifi card & Bluetooth combo doesn't work with Hackintosh (I'm running 10.8.4). To solve the Bluetooth dilemma, I have an IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 adapter plugged into one of my 3.0 ports and of the few months that I've been using my Hackintosh; any connection issues (once) is fixed by just removing and reinserting the adapter. If you want Wifi, I have heard good reviews about the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 is your safest bet (so long as you plan to have your Hackintosh in Mountain Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back