hd
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
i installed ubuntu and not all i get is no boot partition. i have tried just about everything at this point. i believe i need to rebuild efi which i already tried but the pc sees its at just another fat32 partition. i can boot with the usb but no other way, i tried re installing a few times but nothing.

Anybody have any ideas besides reinstallation i really dont want to reinstall when i know everything is working except the boot. worse part is that grub doesnt even show. i have no way to boot anything without the lion usb. really need some help.

thanks

edit*

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
No GPT partition table present!

Current MBR partition table:
# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 * 2 7831551 af Mac OS X HFS+

MBR contents:
Boot Code: Unknown, but bootable

Partition at LBA 2:
File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
Listed in MBR as partition 1, type af Mac OS X HFS+, active

i installed ubuntu and not all i get is no boot partition. i have tried just about everything at this point. i believe i need to rebuild efi which i already tried but the pc sees its at just another fat32 partition. i can boot with the usb but no other way, i tried re installing a few times but nothing.

Anybody have any ideas besides reinstallation i really dont want to reinstall when i know everything is working except the boot. worse part is that grub doesnt even show. i have no way to boot anything without the lion usb. really need some help.

thanks

edit*

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
No GPT partition table present!

Current MBR partition table:
# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 * 2 7831551 af Mac OS X HFS+

MBR contents:

Partition at LBA 2:
File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
Listed in MBR as partition 1, type af Mac OS X HFS+, active

Weird that you don't have GPT. Normal for OS X setup is to have GPT, and sometimes with hybrid MBR (if you made MS-DOS partititions), but maybe you set it up that way to begin with. Also weird that you have no remnants of Ubuntu in your partition table...

But you likely have grub boot record instead of Chimera. You're going to have to manually install the Chimera stage0 boot record, because the Chimera installer script won't overwrite a grub boot record. So, boot with your Unibeast USB, then in Terminal:

Code:
# use your actual ML volume name for your-ml-volume, if you don't know it, you can use...
ls -l /Volumes
# ... to remind yourself
cd /Volumes/your-ml-volume/usr/standalone/i386
# write boot stage0 chimera boot record
/Volumes/your-ml-volume/usr/sbin/fdisk440 -f boot0md -u -y /dev/rdisk0

For installing Ubuntu next time around, look at my blog. The instructions there have some pretty good notes (especially H.12) for installing Ubuntu in a multi-boot Chimera boot loader environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back