Contribute
Register

Ubermick's Build: i7 3770K//Z77X-UP5-TH //GTX 670 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great build, Ubermick!

I am trying to follow in your footsteps. I'm a graphic designer and video-guy and so got the GA-Z68XP-UD3 and went with the XFX AMD Radeon HD6870 to go with it (though that card is just not working at all, won't post, :confused:.) Took my all night to get the case set up the way I like, but it's solid and looks awesome. I've set aside that XFX card for the moment and am just working from the functional HD3000 graphics for now. Appreciate you including the sage advice with those 3 BIOS settings. Made my Unibeast with (App Store) Lion following the tonymac guide. Went off without a hitch. Plugged it in, F12, and to my delight I was able to get it to the (chimera?) boot loader and could feed it commands. But then I am having a similar experience to opendesert when trying to install Lion. Apple logo, spinning lines and then, eventually, the "nope" circle with the line. Kind of new to this, not sure what to make of the (aptly named) verbose log, and safe-mode didn't do it. Not sure what else to try.

Getting frustrated/ambitious I decided to try ML. Which actually worked/works so long as I boot in safe mode. I was able to successfully install ML from safe mode onto my SSD and even run Multibeast and get the network adapter up and running. It is really cool seeing Mac OS running on this thing, it's just a little sad that it's 1024X768 and I have to--quick, run and type -x when I boot up to make it work.

To be honest, I'd actually prefer to run Lion (or even Snow Leopard provided my Apple buddies can get me a disc!) for some older apps I use. Just wanted to share my own experience with this build (this community is AMAZING) and wondering if anyone had any advice on how to track down the problem. In the build post, Ubermick references a Gordo guide for using Multibeast with this setup. That link is no longer functional. Any chance someone knows where that went?

Anyway, wanted to say I really appreciate everyone's efforts and sharing what they've learned with the rest of us and congratulate you again on an awesome build.

Nevermind. I am an idiot. Turns out GraphicsEnabler=NO is different than GraphicEnabler=No. Hours. :banghead: Idiot. Everything works and once I figured out how to tell my BIOS to look for the GPU on the PCI-E 16X slot, that works too. Like a dream. This is a SWEET build.

I am still curious about the Gordo guide, but my problems (aside from wishing I'd gone for the Core i7 :p) seem to have gone away. Thanks all.

Nevermind. I am an idiot. Turns out GraphicsEnabler=NO is different than GraphicEnabler=No. Hours. :banghead: Idiot. Everything works and once I figured out how to tell my BIOS to look for the GPU on the PCI-E 16X slot, that works too. Like a dream. This is a SWEET build.

I am still curious about the Gordo guide, but my problems (aside from wishing I'd gone for the Core i7 :p) seem to have gone away. Thanks all.

o_furioso, I don't really get whether you managed to upgrade your system to ML or not... I was considering the same GPU for my Asus P8Z77-M Pro + i5 3570K build, but I am on 10.8.2 and don't know if this card would work with it.

Have you upgraded your system yet?

Thanks

I have not. I did have ML working for a little while there (without GPU,) but regressed to 10.7.4 before I installed the card. I'm pretty pleased with the card so far. Wasn't expecting too much, but it's currently driving a 27" (2550X1400) and a 24" (1920X1080) no problems. System is rock solid and has been running for over a month with the only hiccups being when I was pushing my overclock. Really pleased with all this. Thanks again to Ubermick!

Heya folks

Thanks to all for the kind replies, and apologies for not popping in and answering questions. Had a lot going on that's kept me away from any sort of free time, and to add insult to injury, I wasn't getting any notifications about private messages or requests away from threads since the email I was using for the site was changed.

To be perfectly honest, I've done NOTHING to the Yeti in months. I avoid updating it like the plague, certainly haven't upgraded to 10.8 yet (haven't even updated to 10.7.5) since it's running stable and without kernel panics. (Though there's still the occasional crapout when I'm trying to shut down).

A lot's passed me by (in just a few short months!) in the Hackintosh world. I'm pondering an upgrade - snagging Mountain Lion and then replacing the motherboard and processor with the new recommended CustoMac suggestions (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH and an i7-3770K) based on Tony's suggestion that these are the most stable products for a Hackintosh he's "ever seen". VERY surprised too to see that Radeon cards seem to be forsaken in favour of the NVIDIA chipset - when I was building, it was tantamount to suicide to attempt that! But have tons of questions about doing this - if it's really necessary, if I can do it piecemeal (I'm assuming my current Sandy Bridge i7 2600K will work fine with the motherboard, and don't need to ditch the Radeon 6870 quite yet!)

ubermick,
See my Thunderball build description. It was a piece of cake to install Mountain Lion 10.8.3. :thumbup:

Storko!! (Otherwise known as "Guy who taught me all I know")

Ordered up the new Ivy Bridge i7 and Thunderbolt mobo you used, your thread is bookmarked, and I'll be working on it this weekend. Ahh, I love spending hours in front of a computer reinstalling everything... :crazy:

Hey! The Stork just enjoys "deliver'in the goods." :thumbup::lol:

Storko!! (Otherwise known as "Guy who taught me all I know")

Ordered up the new Ivy Bridge i7 and Thunderbolt mobo you used, your thread is bookmarked, and I'll be working on it this weekend. Ahh, I love spending hours in front of a computer reinstalling everything... :crazy:

all the best :thumbup:

Attachments

• o.jpg
    o.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 3,057
Hey! The Stork just enjoys "deliver'in the goods." :thumbup::lol:

Well, hardware side of things are taken care of, so now I've got the new 3770k, Z77X-UP5-TH and GTX 670 FTW in there. Amazed by how much quieter the NVIDIA card is over the 6870. But gotta say, things are a little... odd. Installed Mountain Lion on a fresh 256gb Samsung 840 Pro with the descriptions outlined in Slugnet's fine build. But getting odd crashes here and there. Safari will randomly decide to crash. Software will crap out during the install process (Quark XPress and ILife 11, both legit purchases). I've three times had to repair disk permissions, although it SEEMS things are running better now. (Also tore my hair out when I installed FakeSMC and the monitor plugins, and couldn't boot without a KP, and ended up getting frustrated and starting again).

Still, two weeks off work, so lots of time to spend tinkering with everything and hopefully getting the rig stable. (And annoying everyone with my rampant stupidity and questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back