Contribute
Register

Ubermick's Build: i7 3770K//Z77X-UP5-TH //GTX 670 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post Ubermick

Since your build is similar to mine, I was wondering if you had any drives get fatal directory corruption.

My Mac SSD is unusable do to this.

Ran Applejack, disk utilities and Disk Warrior 4.4 (from an emergency boot drive). Drive would show up, but crash the finder or "unmount" when accessing it.

Reformatting seems my only choice. BUT what caused it, or more importantly, how can I keep it happening again? The machine was built last November. (4 months!) :banghead:

I had a different MultiBeast config as yours and may give that a go.

What Bios version is your mobo and DSDT?

How did you connect you drives to the SATA ports?

Here is my build:

Components:

CPU: Intel i7 2700k - LGA 1155 - 3.5 GHz 8MB cache

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 - Bios version 6

Heatsink: ANTEC 25 - Kuhler H20 620

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600DIM

Case: NZXT H2 Classic Silent Chassis (white)

PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760watt

GFX: Diamond Radeon 6870 1GB

Mac HD: 120GB OCZ Nocti SSD mSATA

Optical Drive: LG 12x Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Reader/Drive

Wi-Fi: DIY Apple Airport Card (BCM94321MC and PCI-e X1 card from ebay (maybe the same vendor!)

Monitor: ASUS 23.6" LED VE247H

Mac Storage: 1TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm

PC HD: 700GB Hitachi SATA 7200rpm

Mac Operating System: Apple OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

PC Operating System: Windows 7 Professional System Builders pack

Thanks for any help or pointers!

John V said:
Anyway I've been doing some research in overclocking and was wondering if anyone has taken a look at the below thread for the GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 board. I know it's not the same but close to the specs.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/ ... eview.html

At the bottom of the first post there's an "Overclocking, stabillity and benches" list that might help us get in the ballpark with the settings we need.

Great find, John - I'll give this a shot to see if I can get close to what I need. I've noticed some instability between OS's, as in Win 7 would work but OSX would freeze, but maybe if I start here I can get past that.

ShamanGreeny said:
I've noticed some instability between OS's, as in Win 7 would work but OSX would freeze, but maybe if I start here I can get past that.

I've found that too. With my current 4 year old hackintosh I did all my overclock testing on Windows... when I switched to OS X it had either freezes or kernel panics. I just lowered the OC a little in the bios and OS X was happy.

maustin667 said:
Great post Ubermick

Since your build is similar to mine, I was wondering if you had any drives get fatal directory corruption.

I had an odd drive issue that appeared a week or so ago, that I sort of wrote off. Internal drives were fine, but the external drive that I'm using for work suddenly gave issues, to the point where I got the "rescue what data you can and reformat the drive" message.

But the drive worked fine when I pulled it and connected it to my laptop.

After shutting down for the night, and starting up again next morning, the hack and the drive got along fine, and problem hasn't reappeared. Put it down to the fact that the drive was connected to the USB port on the monitor, as opposed to directly to the case.

In terms of my setup - Mac SSD is connected to SATA 0, Windows SSD is SATA 1, Mac storage is SATA 2, Windows storage SATA 3, Blu Ray drive is SATA 4. Mobo and DSDT is F8.

Could be weak power coming off the monitor's usb hub or maybe a bad usb cable.

Ubermick,

When you setup your M4 SSD did you align it as some recommend before installing?

Thanks,

John

Can you give me a perspective on how loud the HD-687X-CNFC gets under "regular" usage. By regular I mean not being used for 3D gaming or gaming in general. Mostly will be using my Hackintosh for Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc. Thanks!

HELLO,

I have a similar system configuration to you. I am using the same processor and motherboard. I am using unibeast with an 8gb thumb drive and an OSX Lion thumb drive which I purchased from Apple. I have gone through the BIOS multiple times everything seems to be in order. I have followed your advice with regards to the BIOS settings:

1 - Load Optimized Defaults
2 - Set Bios to AHCI mode (for my board, found under "Integrated Peripherals", second option)
3 - Set HPET to 64 bit (for my board, found under "Power Management Setup")

The system boots fine to the thumb drive. I see the Chimera screen. I see the gray apple splash screen. Then after a minute or so a small white box appears in the middle of the Apple splash screen. The box contains the symbol of a circle with a line through it. When I attempt to do a "verbose" installation the last message I receive states, "Still waiting on root device"

I am hitting a bit of a wall here do you have any ideas?

Sorry lads, been away for a bit, apologies for not answering questions.

solerunner: You owe me a pint!! I pulled the Mac out of it's little cubby, opened it up, and disconnected all the fans, and powered it up. Comparing it to the PC that's living in my MAME cabinet downstairs (which has a Radeon 4670 in there) it's substantially louder. If you want silent running, this might not be the card for you.

opendesert: It sounds like you're trying to install directly from a separate Apple thumb drive, which won't work.

• Format your 8gb thumb drive using disk utility.[/*:m:3fh8k0dk]
  • Set your partition to "1 partition" and make sure "Master Boot Record" is checked under options[/*:m:3fh8k0dk]
  • Now plug in your Apple Lion thumb[/*:m:3fh8k0dk]
  • Run Unibeast, and select your newly formatted thumb drive as the destination[/*:m:3fh8k0dk]
  • Next screen, click "Apple Store "OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive" and hit continue[/*:m:3fh8k0dk]
  • Sit back and wait 15-30 mins while it installs[/*:m:3fh8k0dk]

Obviously, you'll need access to a Mac in order to set all this up. More detailed instructions here:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... using.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back