Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-GAMING 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
I have the build in my profile which I built in July 2017, and have recently purchased an Alpine Ridge TB3 card running on a Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 to upgrade Thunderbolt 3 connectivity for various TB2 / USB 3.0 hubs and daisy-chained UAD audio interfaces (Apollo x8P TB3 / Apollo Twin Quad TB2 / Arrow TB3). After many days of scouring threads, MOBO firmware flashes, Windows installations, reformatting, backing up, and expletives, I finally feel the need to get some outside perspective.

I started with trying to get the UAD Arrow to communicate with the Alpine Ridge. Got it connected and working with Windows 10, and I even got so far as to have it work on the Mac side of my Hackintosh once. I was overjoyed, opened Ableton, and confirmed it working for about ten minutes. I restarted and the connectivity was gone. I’ve tried booting into Windows, connecting the Arrow and restarting into OS X, but I’ve only managed to make it work on the Mac side of this build one time out of several attempts. I just tried booting into Windows to find the Arrow operating as expected, then restarted to OS X, no dice.

If I don’t have the hardware connected to the computer, it shows “No Devices Found”. When it is connected to the UAD Meter & Control Panel, it’s changing between two different Connection Error Codes (-54 and -91) with no rhyme or reason.

No matter which code it throws, I am able to see the device within the Audio dropdown menu when I option-click, but it doesn’t actually play anything.

I’m encouraged by the fact that the Arrow did connect once and I was able to hear clean playback from headphones from Ableton Live.

My Corsair Keyboard was detected through a USB 3.0 hub connected to an ElGato TB3 dock on the OS X side, there does appear to be some communication here.

For the record, this entire chain of USB MIDI Controllers / Audio Interfaces / TB2 + TB3 hubs works flawlessly on my 2018 MacBook Pro.

I can post photos of anything and everything I’ve outlined here if it’s helpful.

I’m open to anything, even a new build if need be, but I would prefer to stick with this hardware configuration as is. I would also be into updating to High Sierra or a new Clover configuration, but with the 1060 GTX I have, my research has indicated I wouldn’t be able to update to Mojave and Catalina isn’t supported by all of the software I use, so I tend to stay a few steps behind on the update game.

Does anyone have any insight here?

I'm currently going through the process of creating a High Sierra environment to test in. Windows 10 appears to be communicating with all of my UAD devices.

Does anyone have any insight here? I will continue documenting my progress in this thread either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back