Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello,

I believe this is the best place for this post and I've done a good bit of searching the past week and haven't been able to find an answer or a solution.

I'm a UAD user and I have a Apollo x8p and an OCTO Satellite daisy chained into my MB per UAD recommendations.

When I have rather large sessions where the DSP usage is 90%+ I will occasionally get multiple Error Code -38 and the error message says my "Device is not found". This will deactivate every UAD plugin after plugin every couple of minutes or so.

It doesn't happen every time, today for instance I booted everything at the same time. The Apollo rack slightly after the computer as it is the first device and the OCTO after that. So far so good and I haven't had the issue.

I'm looking to see if any other UAD hackintosh users have had this issue and what I can try to troubleshoot and possibly cure the intermittent issue.

My rig setup is basically as it is listed here with a 9900k instead.

I am running OSX 10.14 and Ableton Live 10.1.9b1 with the latest UAD software (9.11)

I appreciate your time and if you have any questions please do not hesitate.

I'm not using sleep, to my knowledge I have usb port limit patched and usbinjectall configured but I'm not entirely sure. I followed THIS guide and thought it would all be configured properly. Where would I go to verify those two are configured properly?

It's not your USB. It's a plugin overload/disconnect. If it's working at all, your Thunderbolt is fine.

Are you Truly daisy-chaining as in the Octo is hanging off of the second TB port of the Apollo? Or are the two devices on their own TB ports coming out of the mobo?

What's your Delay Compensation set at in the UAD Console per hardware item and sample rate?

You may just need to give your device(s) more DSP headroom in the UAD Meter & Control Panel –see attachments.

It still could be an Ableton issue. Check uaudio for specifics with that DAW.

FWIW, I'd stay on Mojave... I have the regular TB2 Apollo 8 Quad, also v.9.11 but with Pro Tools 2018.12 and 2019.12.0.534. I have to power up Thunderbolt devices before powering up the computer.

Attachments

• UAD Meter and Control Panel.png
    UAD Meter and Control Panel.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 626
  • Console_Settings.png
    Console_Settings.png
    72 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:
In case it's helpful, resurrecting an old thread...

I have a UAD system with an Octo 8 PCIE card, an TB2 Apollo 8 Quad and an Apollo Twin Quad, daisy-chained to the Apollo Twin Quad. All working, but I believe I've been getting -38 errors that freeze up the system and connection due to a poor Thunderbolt cable. The -38 errors didn't appear until that cable was introduced to the system and so am now removing the interface from my rack and connecting it via a (shorter) Apple-branded TH2 cable to see if the issue persists.

Setting DSP Load to 98% is interesting and I'll try that too. I was running two digital mirrors (SPIDF/ADAT) and two Alt Monitor paths with virtual busses > DSP pairs in UAD Console Settings and so may throttle some of that back as well. I believe my -38 error codes weren't so much plugin related and have to do with dips of low bandwidth via the faulty TH2 cable.

Have had this hack since 2014 and after much experimentation have a very reliable system for audio production.

Power to the UAD users on Hackintosh systems :)

Any updates on your issues? I’m getting same issue only when trying to use UAD-2 satellite off the back of my apollo x6 with thunderbolt 3 apple cables. Mojave 10.14.6, logic 10.4.8, alpine ridge thunderbolt card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back