i7-3770K @ 4,4GHz
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I know I know… I should have picked up the G5 by myself. Unfortunately I didn't, because I don't have a car (master student) and it was too far away.

The G5 I got from eBay does have the typical bent stand of the rear stand on the right side (G5 door side).
I guess it happend during the transportation :(

Looks like this: http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=51542

Has someone been able to repair that kind of damage?

I roughed the inner surfaces as best I could, liberally put JB Weld into the gap with a toothpick and tightly clamped it with 2 clamps for 48 hours.

Looks great and is still holding firm.

I roughed the inner surfaces as best I could, liberally put JB Weld into the gap with a toothpick and tightly clamped it with 2 clamps for 48 hours.

Looks great and is still holding firm.

Excellent! For the "roughing" these surfaces I have to totally strip down the case and even take the case itself apart?

Excellent! For the "roughing" these surfaces I have to totally strip down the case and even take the case itself apart?

No, I used a small putty knife with 100 grit sandpaper wrapped around the blade.

Good luck.

For really bad bends I'd recommend the strip down though and then bending the damage the other way. Aluminium tends to have a memory of where it is bent and bending it the other way and then more or less straight will help your repair to stick.

And yes, stripping it down is a major pain, so I hope the putty knife and the clamps do it for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back