Mobile Phone
  1. 0
What do you think about this setup?

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$139.99 -$40.00 Instant $99.99

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #:GA-P55M-UD2
$109.99 -$5.00 Instant $104.99

ZOTAC ZT-98GES3G-FSL GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$92.99 $92.99

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power
$99.99 -$25.00 Instant $74.99

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
$289.99 -$10.00 Instant $279.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit
$104.99 $104.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
$109.99 -$10.00 Instant $99.99

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - Retail
$36.98 $36.98
Subtotal: $894.91

Just one question, why the big case for a mATX motherboard? The full size Gigabyte boards work just as fine as the mATX ones for a hackingtosh build, I'm using the P55-UD4P and pretty much any other model should be fine. Or you go for a smaller case ;)

I did think about that and wouldn't mind a bigger case. What are the benefits of the bigger board? I don't know enough to know, besides space. I would like more space for sure.

jedityfuji said:
I did think about that and wouldn't mind a bigger case. What are the benefits of the bigger board? I don't know enough to know, besides space. I would like more space for sure.

More PCI/PCI-express slots and there are pretty much 2 kinds of gigabyte ATX boards.

Type I. x16 PCIe slot + x4 PCIe slot - Any board with UD3 in it, great if you ever want to run physx in windows or if you never plan to SLI/Xfire.

Type II x16 PCIe slot + x8 PCIe slot (Conforms to x8/x8 if using two cards) - Any board with UD4/UD5/UD6 in it, great if you ever intend to run SLI/Xfire in windows.

If you don't plan on gaming in a windows environment with SLI/Xfire, I'd pick up a P55-UD3R if you're not concerned with USB 3.0 in the future or a P55A-UD3/P55A-UD3P if you are. If you do plan on SLI/Xfire then I'd pick up a P55-UD4P if not concerned with USB 3.0 in the future or P55A-UD4P if you are. Also I see you're purchasing an AC Freezer 7, but you might not be able to hit as high of a clock on the UD2 compared to some of the other models. How high of an OC are you looking for? Moreover I'm just curious why you're going with the i7-860 over the i5-750? Will you be editing photos/videos etc? If not the hyper-threading will probably be a waste and you could save $100 dollars going with the i5. I'm just asking because you're coupling an i7-860 with the cheapest board. It's fine, but again its just more of me being curious of your intentions with this set up.

That being said, I had a micro ATX board in my Antec 900 II case before and it did look a lil funny lol, but if that's what you'd like to do, then by all means go with the UD2. How much are you willing to spend on a motherboard and is Newegg the only vendor you'll use?
I ask this because you can find better deals on some of the other boards I listed above @ other online vendors.

Jocelyn84 said:
jedityfuji said:

More PCI/PCI-express slots and there are pretty much 2 kinds of gigabyte ATX boards.

Type I. x16 PCIe slot + x4 PCIe slot - Any board with UD3 in it, great if you ever want to run physx in windows or if you never plan to SLI/Xfire.

Type II x16 PCIe slot + x8 PCIe slot (Conforms to x8/x8 if using two cards) - Any board with UD4/UD5/UD6 in it, great if you ever intend to run SLI/Xfire in windows.

If you don't plan on gaming in a windows environment with SLI/Xfire, I'd pick up a P55-UD3R if you're not concerned with USB 3.0 in the future or a P55A-UD3/P55A-UD3P if you are. If you do plan on SLI/Xfire then I'd pick up a P55-UD4P if not concerned with USB 3.0 in the future or P55A-UD4P if you are. Also I see you're purchasing an AC Freezer 7, but you might not be able to hit as high of a clock on the UD2 compared to some of the other models. How high of an OC are you looking for? Moreover I'm just curious why you're going with the i7-860 over the i5-750? Will you be editing photos/videos etc? If not the hyper-threading will probably be a waste and you could save $100 dollars going with the i5. I'm just asking because you're coupling an i7-860 with the cheapest board. It's fine, but again its just more of me being curious of your intentions with this set up.

That being said, I had a micro ATX board in my Antec 900 II case before and it did look a lil funny lol, but if that's what you'd like to do, then by all means go with the UD2. How much are you willing to spend on a motherboard and is Newegg the only vendor you'll use?
I ask this because you can find better deals on some of the other boards I listed above @ other online vendors.

I will want usb 3.0 and I do a lot of photo and video editing, but I am making a hackintosh so I don't know if the hyper-threading will be utilized fully. I will def. also need firewire 400 or 800. I have decided to go with a bigger case.

Any info on which board to buy for photo/video editing and if hyper-threading work in OS X 10.6 would be helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back