Contribute
Register

TWO OSx running in the SAME SSD, please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
System make/model > See Rules!
CPU
i3 > Need Model > See Rules!
Graphics
HD 4000
Hi folks,

Is it possible install two OSx (Mountain Lion and another which runs with similar BIOS) in the SAME SSD? My idea is use two partitions, one for each OSx.

Unfortunately, some of my licensed softwares just run in Mountain Lion (10.8.4), but i would like to upgrade my machine with a latest OSx and maintain ML running in another partition too.

I suppose that BIOS could be a problem and need to know if some of most 'recent' OSx have compatibility with the BIOS used to run Mountain Lion (10.8.4) in the HP Probook 4540s.

My machine:

HP Probook 4540s
Processor 2.39 GHz / Intel Core I3
RAM 8GB / DDR3
INTEL HD Graphics 4000
Wi-Fi Card Atheros 9285
SDD 240GB
OSX 10.8.4 (ML)

Last edited:
Does not require Buying Advice - Moved to Multi Booting.

Hi folks,

Is it possible install two OSx (Mountain Lion and another which runs with similar BIOS) in the SAME SSD? My idea is use two partitions, one for each OSx.

Unfortunately, some of my licensed softwares just run in Mountain Lion (10.8.4), but i would like to upgrade my machine with a latest OSx and maintain ML running in another partition too.

I suppose that BIOS could be a problem and need to know if some of most 'recent' OSx have compatibility with the BIOS used to run Mountain Lion (10.8.4) in the HP Probook 4540s.

My machine:

HP Probook 4540s
Processor 2.39 GHz / Intel Core I3
RAM 8GB / DDR3
INTEL HD Graphics 4000
Wi-Fi Card Atheros 9285
SDD 240GB
OSX 10.8.4 (ML)
Please follow the forum rules and put your hardware in your profile if you want help.

You will be unable to run Mojave or Catalina and Mountain Lion from the same SSD as both 10.14 and 10.15 require apfs formatted drive.
You can install 10.8 and up to 10.13 on the same drive if you force 10.13 to install HFS+. OTOH, I do not think Mountain Lion will run on an 8 series CPU laptop - Ivy Bridge is last supported for 10.8 IIRC. That is the model with the 3110M CPU, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back