Contribute
Register

Two Dedicated GPUs (RX 580 Pulse and GTX 1070)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z270-A PRO
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My goal is to run a dual-boot setup, with two dedicated graphics cards (disabled Intel HD630 iGPU):
  • AMD Radeon RX 580 PULSE (@PCIE Slot #1/2)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (@PCIE Slot #2/2)
The AMD works fantastically on its own and system boots without any kexts or additional Clover settings — even before I removed the NVIDIA web drivers. However, I now have added the formerly used GTX 1070 back in but left monitors connected to the AMD. In summary: I'd like to have the AMD enabled only on macOS and the NVIDIA only enabled on Windows — consequently disabling the other card whenever possible, maximising performance and compatibility with each system. This setup is already tested to work under Windows.

When I try to boot with both cards seated, I reach a black screen, no automatic reboot, reachable via SSH. Verbose runs seemingly until the end (no retry notices). System version is High Sierra 10.13.2; The web drivers are no longer installed.

How can I let macOS ignore/disable the secondary card? Do I have to use a "helper card" as described in some earlier AMD threads to boot on integrated graphics?

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE: If anyone stumbles upon this thread with the same task: I decided to ditch NVIDIA cards altogether. One of the most important things in building a high performance Hackintosh always to know properly supported hardware — and proper sometimes has to mean natively as well. If I'm upgrading in the future, I'm going to pick cards like the AMD Vega or just a second RX 580.

Last edited:
It's important to use "disablegfxfirmware", it seems. Without it, the system runs into a retry loop.

Now, if NVIDIA web drivers are installed, the system boots and uses the NVIDIA card. If I can achieve the opposite of that, that it only uses the AMD card instead. Any attempt to disable the web drivers leads to the same result with the system using only the NVIDIA card.

Anybody knows how to solve this problem?

I am in the same boat but I have RX560 and 1080ti. Nevertheless same black screen during the boot if I install 2 cards. Do not want to ditch the NVIDIA card just yet. It is so frustrating to install 1080ti every time I want to play a game in windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back