Contribute
Register

Two Airport Extreme's -- Possible to extend wireless & maintain gigabit LAN Speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
GTX 780 6GB x2
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone, I just posted this question in the Apple Forums, but I figured that it might be worth running this question past a (possibly) more hardware-savvy community.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4900923

I'm moving to a new place and mulling over the best way to wire up a home office. I have two airport extremes (5gth gen) and was hoping that I would be able to extend the wireless network from Airport A to Airport B and still maintain gigabit LAN speeds between all devices connected via ethernet to Airport B. Basically, I am trying to avoid snaking Cat6 across my apartment to a gigabit switch in the home office.

Does anyone have experience with a similar setup?
(1) Will I still be able to use the LAN ports on Airport B in this manner?
(2) If so, will I be able to maintain gigabit speeds between the two workstations and the NAS (basically all devices that share ethernet off the Airport B)?

Thanks for any help or advice! (Quick sketch/diagram of setup is attached... and I do realize that this creates a bottleneck on internet speeds.)

Attachments

• airport.png
    airport.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 750
Why don't you use HomePlug's?
In this way you can sen data thru your electric wires in your home.
To get the best speeds they need to be on the same phase.

I use 1 HomePlug connected to the Airport Extreme and the other I can move around if I need to connect to my TV, console or some computer that I need connect with ethernet cable.

Good Luck

Hi everyone, I just posted this question in the Apple Forums, but I figured that it might be worth running this question past a (possibly) more hardware-savvy community.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4900923

I'm moving to a new place and mulling over the best way to wire up a home office. I have two airport extremes (5gth gen) and was hoping that I would be able to extend the wireless network from Airport A to Airport B and still maintain gigabit LAN speeds between all devices connected via ethernet to Airport B. Basically, I am trying to avoid snaking Cat6 across my apartment to a gigabit switch in the home office.

Does anyone have experience with a similar setup?
(1) Will I still be able to use the LAN ports on Airport B in this manner?
(2) If so, will I be able to maintain gigabit speeds between the two workstations and the NAS (basically all devices that share ethernet off the Airport B)?

Thanks for any help or advice! (Quick sketch/diagram of setup is attached... and I do realize that this creates a bottleneck on internet speeds.)

There are (as usual) many ways to skin the cat on this fairly common issue. Some of the ways to address this require a little more info. Are you setting this up in an apt building? If so, ask or at least consider whether other apts are on the same transformer phase as you. Any wiring on the same phase can potentially plug in one half of the link and gain access to your system. Security will only be as good as the security passphrase built into the linking devices. If you are in a standalone house, this isn't an issue. However, the flip side of this can also create a problem with ac powerline links. Both ends of the link must be on the same phase of a transformer. This isn't usually a problem for homeowners, as most homes have single phase wiring. In contrast, commercial buildings are rarely single phase.
For similar reasons, you must plug ac powerline links directly into the wall socket. Don't use surge / spike protectors as they will block the LAN signal. Finally, realize that the throughput with wireless or ac powerline links will be decreased. Typically, with current high end ac powerline links the throughput will be ~100 Mbps. The throughput with a wireless connection will vary from 2-6 Mbps using low cost equipment (because they don't really have 2 separate transceivers) to 20-150 Mbps using high end equipment to create a wireless bridge and two distinct access points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back