Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hi Guys,

I just updated to Sierra and TurboBoost stopped working (I am overclocking my 3570K from 3.5 to 4.2ghz).

To upgrade, I had to change system definition from MacPro3,1 to iMac14,2 (I also tried iMac12,1 with no luck)

This are my specs
i5 3570K (turboboost 4.2ghz)
Gigabyte z77x-d3h
Nvidia 970

Any ideas how to get my TurboBoost back? I got used to higher speeds :p

Hi Guys,

I just updated to Sierra and TurboBoost stopped working (I am overclocking my 3570K from 3.5 to 4.2ghz).

To upgrade, I had to change system definition from MacPro3,1 to iMac14,2 (I also tried iMac12,1 with no luck)

This are my specs
i5 3570K (turboboost 4.2ghz)
Gigabyte z77x-d3h
Nvidia 970

Any ideas how to get my TurboBoost back? I got used to higher speeds :p

Same thing here. I had overclocked in BIOS (no Clover tinkering or DSDT involved) in El Capitan and was working fine at 4.4GHz. After installing Sierra I can't get it to clock over stock frequency 3.4GHz

Here are my specs
i5 3570K (turboboost 4.4ghz)
Gigabyte Z77-D3H

Anyone has an idea why?

Sierra seems to have changed how certain sysdefs affect things like overclocking and Turbo Boost, but there are some SMBIOS choices which still work better than others for K-suffix Ivy CPUs regardless of whether it's an i5 or i7.

My experience with i7-3770K and i5-3570K (on Gigabyte Z77 motherboards at least) is that iMac12,2 is the best overall SMBIOS, as it allows overclocking and Turbo Boost as well as native speed stepping even without a custom DSDT or SSDT. Even though technically iMac12,2 is a Sandy Bridge sysdef, I've found it's also the best choice for an overclocked Ivy CPU. iMac 13,x or 14,x won't reflect any overclocking you do in BIOS, you'll just get the stock CPU speed.

MacPro5,1 is another sysdef that allows for OC and TB, but it seems to limit the OC to 4.2GHz even with BIOS settings which allowed for a 4.5GHz OC under El Capitan.

Glad that helped you, @sakar. I do need to correct my earlier post though -- MacPro 5,1 does indeed allow full overclock of your BIOS settings IF YOU DON'T USE PJALM'S PATCHED DSDT. With the PJALM DSDT for my UD5H board my OC topped out at 4.2GHz. With no DSDT, full overclock to 4.5GHz. Since I don't notice a single thing that's fixed or better with the DSDT, I run my UD5H/3770K without one.

@shaveblog I tried switching to iMac12,2 and could not get my NVidia video card to work (it would boot without using WebDrivers, with WebDrivers I would get no video at all).

I switched to MacPro 5,1 and after a few problems (kernel panics due to the appletymcedriver.kext, which I deleted in single user mode) I successfully booted and I'm now correctly overclocking!

Thanks!

Sorry, I can't offer you any advice on Nvidia GPUs. I stay with ATI/AMD and/or Intel HD for all my builds. Nothing against Nvidia, just that AMDs work better with Final Cut Pro X.

Yes, if you delete or otherwise take AppleTyMCE out of the equation, the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS works well with Ivy i5/i7. Just be aware that every OS update means deleting AppleTyMCE all over again or you won't be able to boot. iMac12,2 SMBIOS doesn't suffer from this issue, it simply ignores that kext.

Thank you @shaveblog !

By OS update you mean EVERY update ex. from 10.10 to 10.10.2 or only for major OS releases?

I will need to rembmeber to delete it all the time :(

Great @P1LGRIM ! I just edited my config.plist and added the patch :)) Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back