Contribute
Register

Turbo Boost not working on Mojave. i7-9700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I don't use multibeast for the kexts. I put all my kexts in Clover/kexts/other. I have tried different approaches but that works for me and much easier to update. I have built 6 hackintoshes and on the last ones I use this approach. Just trying to help I would take out all your hacintosh-related kexts from /L/E and start with the basic ones in Clover/kexts/other. I am not saying it is a kext issue but this way we can start from scratch. I have a i7 8700k at 3.7GHz clocked to 4.4GHz. This CPU has a turbo boost of 4.7GHz.As you can see I never see the turbo boost in Intel Power Gadget but it stays on overclocked value. Are you sure Power Gadget shows this? Did you try a Geekbench and compare the result?

power_gadget_i7-8700k.png

I have yet to hear of an Intel processor which can’t hit its maximum turbo boost speed, but hitting the maximum turbo boost is dependent on workload – it won’t happen all of the time. Also I am not sure if the Turbo Boost affects all cores, probably not. the 9700K does not hyper-thread compared to my 8700k.

Hello! I have installed the Intel Power Gadget utility and i've realised that my CPU peaks at 3,7GHz on load instead of 4,9GHZ (turbo boost speed).I have attached my EFI folder.Could anyone give me some advice? Thank you!

@spukhoo,

There is no need to move your kexts ... it will not help to resolve the issue.

First check that MacOS is using native CPU Power Management by checking the IOReg for the X86PlatfromPlugin :-

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 16.26.23.png
If t's not there then you can enable it by checking/selecting the "PluginType" in Clover Configurator -> ACPI -> SSDT :-

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 16.09.34.png

Alternatively you can enable it with the hot patch SSDT i've attached below, download it and copy it to :-

Code:
/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

If you need more info on Native CPU Power Management then see this guide :-

Once you have done that and confirmed MacOs is using the X86PlatfromPlugin you need to run Piker Alpha's shell script to patch the Frequency Vectors used by MacOS, download the script from his repo and run it as per the instructions :-

When you run the script it will give you a long list of mac models/smbios types, if the script can identify the one you are using it will be highlighted in bold text but don't worry if doesn't. Enter the number of the one that matches the SMBIOS you are using and hit return. The script will then patch MacOs to use the higher frequencies of your CPU.

You can answer "N" (No) to the question "Do you want to open Mac-XXXXXXXXXXXXX"
Answer "Y" (Yes) to Reboot Now.

Check that system is now using the higher boost frequencies using Intel Power Gadget by putting the system under a stress test with something like LuxMark set to use the CPU only.

There is a distinct lack of ACPI fixes in your config.plist and i see no SSDT hot patches so i would say you got some work to do ... but the above method should fix the turbo frequencies in your original question.

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• SSDT-XCPM.aml
    80 bytes · Views: 101
Last edited:
@jaymonkey so glad you could cast light on this issue. I really learned a lot from your post! I was a bit lost but just trying to help :)
So should then Intel Power Gadget show the peak on my 8700k also then at 4.7GHz which is the Turbo Boost of my CPU? It never peaks over 4.4GHz which is my OC setting.

Last edited:
@spukhoo,

There is no need to move your kexts ... it will not help to resolve the issue.

First check that MacOS is using native CPU Power Management by checking the IOReg for the X86PlatfromPlugin :-

View attachment 437812
If t's not there then you can enable it by checking/selecting the "PluginType" in Clover Configurator -> ACPI -> SSDT :-

View attachment 437810

Alternatively you can enable it with the hot patch SSDT i've attached below, download it and copy it to :-

Code:
/EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

If you need more info on Native CPU Power Management then see this guide :-

Once you have done that and confirmed MacOs is using the X86PlatfromPlugin you need to run Piker Alpha's shell script to patch the Frequency Vectors used by MacOS, download the script from his repo and run it as per the instructions :-

When you run the script it will give you a long list of mac models/smbios types, if the script can identify the one you are using it will be highlighted in bold text but don't worry if doesn't. Enter the number of the one that matches the SMBIOS you are using and hit return. The script will then patch MacOs to use the higher frequencies of your CPU.

You can answer "N" (No) to the question "Do you want to open Mac-XXXXXXXXXXXXX"
Answer "Y" (Yes) to Reboot Now.

Check that system is now using the higher boost frequencies using Intel Power Gadget by putting the system under a stress test with something like LuxMark set to use the CPU only.

There is a distinct lack of ACPI fixes in your config.plist and i see no SSDT hot patches so i would say you got some work to do ... but the above method should fix the turbo frequencies in your original question.

Cheers
Jay
Hello Jay! First of all thank you very much for your time and kindness.
So heres what happened. I checked and my system wasn't using the X86Platformplugin. So I enabled it by selecting PluginType in the CC.After running the Piker's script i have left with two states only. One at 800Mhz and one at 3,6Ghz.Do you have any idea what should i do? Thank you!

Edit: I did some search about the ACPI fixes and found a guide with the same motherboard as mine. I copied the config.plist settings in CC and somehow my system it seems more snappy now. I don't know if its only a placebo effect or not. Here is my new EFI folder. Thank you!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I did some search about the ACPI fixes and found a guide with the same motherboard as mine. I copied the config.plist settings in CC and somehow my system it seems more snappy now. I don't know if its only a placebo effect or not. Here is my new EFI folder. Thank you!

@spukhoo,

Those ACPI fixes look a bit more like it and should make your system more stable so i doubt its placebo.
One error i did see in your config is that you have Inject Kexts set to "Yes" (Look in CC - System Parameters)
I think in an earlier post you said that you have your kexts installed in /L/E, as long as FakeSMC is in /L/E then you should set Inject Kexts to "Detect".

So heres what happened. I checked and my system wasn't using the X86Platformplugin. So I enabled it by selecting PluginType in the CC.After running the Piker's script i have left with two states only. One at 800Mhz and one at 3,6Ghz.Do you have any idea what should i do?

Humm thats strange ... that method has always worked for me and for many other users so not sure why it did not work for you, I don't recall anyone having a problem with it so difficult to know what to suggest.

A few suggestions ...

1. Try running the script again ...

2. Restore /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext from a backup and rebuild the kext cache (use Hackintool or command line) which will undo what the script did.

You still need the X86PluginType in Clover though .. without that the CPU will not be running native power management.

If all else fails try searching the forums, maybe there is something more specific that needs to be done with a Coffee Lake CPU. The latest generation system I have is Kaby Lake and the process worked just fine for me (also on all my other systems)

If i think of anything else i'll post here ....

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back