Contribute
Register

Trying to update to High Sierra but stuck at step 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very much appreciated. Thank you for the detailed explanation. I am going through this now and will post later tonight!
  • I am uploading your BIOS screens as edited with some tips annotated on them.
  • If I get a chance, I will upload your original CLOVER screen shots including the screen shot I had uploaded earlier to give you early warning about the drivers64UEFI folder's missing "AptioFix..." driver responsible for the early KP during boot.

Attachments

• 1.SysteminfoComposeguy.png
    1.SysteminfoComposeguy.png
    488.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.BIOSFeaturesComposeguy.png
    2.BIOSFeaturesComposeguy.png
    797.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.BIOS Features.png
    3.BIOS Features.png
    653.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 4.BIOS FeaturesComposeguy.png
    4.BIOS FeaturesComposeguy.png
    558.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 5.Peripherals.png
    5.Peripherals.png
    671.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 6.Peripherals.png
    6.Peripherals.png
    646 KB · Views: 87
  • 7.Peripherals.png
    7.Peripherals.png
    660.7 KB · Views: 91
okay! That booted up fine into my El Capitan system drive ! Thank you!

Should I now proceed with the Installation of High Sierra? Or is there anything I should do first?

Also - I have been reading that I need to have the machine connected via ethernet when doing the High Sierra installation? Is this correct? I only have the wifi connected at the moment and I will be needing ethernet on this machine. Or is that bogus/easily fixed?

okay! That booted up fine into my El Capitan system drive ! Thank you!

Should I now proceed with the Installation of High Sierra? Or is there anything I should do first?

Also - I have been reading that I need to have the machine connected via ethernet when doing the High Sierra installation? Is this correct? I only have the wifi connected at the moment and I will be needing ethernet on this machine. Or is that bogus/easily fixed?

I don't think you have to have Ethernet during Installation but is HIGHLY Desirable and must be en0 in the BSD Name (SeeScreen Capture of Apple>AboutThisMac_System Report-Hardware_Ethernet Cards) .

I think you can proceed with Install.
I am uploading my good BIOS setup screens from Same Board for emulation.
Please note I have Nvidia GT 710 Graphics which is Natively supported. You need to change config.plist Graphics with [√]Inject Nvidia or in System Parameters [√] Nvidia Web and Inject kexts [Yes] as the case may be for your
Graphics: ZOTAC GeForce GT 640 Zone 2G
. I am not familiar with your Graphics card's requirement for HS or Mojave.
By the way, your System is Mojave ready from MoBo and CPU stand. I have Mojave in mine.

Attachments

• 1.System Report_Hardware_Ethernet Cards.png
    1.System Report_Hardware_Ethernet Cards.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 1.png
    1.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.png
    2.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.png
    3.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 4..png
    4..png
    172.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 5.png
    5.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 6.png
    6.png
    207.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 7..png
    7..png
    236.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 8.png
    8.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 9.png
    9.png
    205 KB · Views: 70
  • 10.png
    10.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 11.png
    11.png
    207.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 12.png
    12.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 13.png
    13.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 91
Thank you so much for this!

Do you suggest that I make those changes to the config.plist file and to the BIOS before I update to HS?
Yes. You may make changes if it suits your hardware.
Does your Nvidia GT640 require Nvidia Web driver?
Did it require any config.plist editing in your current OS?
In the uploaded ClOVER/config.plist from you, I was surprised to see [√]Inject Intel in config.plist Graphics with no reference to your Nvidia Graphics.
The one I uploaded had my Intel HD Graphics 4000 connected to the monitor and hence config.plist had it injected and its FakeID and ig-p-Id. You responded it worked OK in your present OS.
Did you change anything in it to make it work? or did you use it as is? If it worked without any changes , you can use it as is, in this OS too.

Does your Nvidia GT640 require Nvidia Web driver?
The GT 640 should work out of the box with full acceleration with native drivers and NO injection.

Hey there - So I managed to complete installation of HS (after many reboots etc.) but upon reboot at the clover boot screen there are no boot options any more. My system drive is missing. What have I not done?

Hey there - So I managed to complete installation of HS (after many reboots etc.) but upon reboot at the clover boot screen there are no boot options any more. My system drive is missing. What have I not done?
So I managed to complete installation of HS (after many reboots etc.)

What do you really mean by "Complete the installation"?

Without knowing that or a series of images uploaded to show that, it is hard to answer why you are having a "missing System Disk in CBM screen" problem.
I think this is a good time to raise a valid point: Many first timers or even seasoned Hackintoshers often leave their computer during installation for a coffee-break, to get a drink, to go out to get some fresh air , make a phone call and 'let the computer do its thing'! Sometimes, on reboot of a 'multi-reboot installation', the macOS USB Installer may decide to boot from CBM instead of letting the 'half-baked' system disk to go on to a full bake! This can corrupt the installation. The rule of thumb that is useful in Installation with a USB installer is "Get into CBM screen through USB and exit CBM through System disk" until the System disk no longer needs the USB installer to boot -ie. System Disk has its own CLOVER.

Complete hard disk installation of macOS ends with the System Disk getting its own CLOVER (the boot loader). That CLOVER must have some important drivers (.EFIs) in its /drivers64UEFI folder for CLOVER to know it is a real System disk that needs to be booted off CBM screen.

If the Target hard disk for macOS System that is Partitioned and formatted has copied all the Files from the System Partition of the USB installer, it still lacking CLOVER and required kexts to make it Self sufficient. That part is done through Multibeast in this Forum or some will use a manual method . If you miss this step and remove the USB installer that was helping the System Disk Minus CLOVER to reach the Login Screen, it may not even show up at CBM screen.

In summary, all I can say is that that System disk has no APFS.EFI and may be the HFSPlus.efi or VBoxHfs-64.efi needed to make CLOVER EFI boot loader know that this is a Hackintosh Bootable System Disk to get it to CBM Screen and beyond to Login.

If this is what happened, boot with the USB Installer Flash disk, reach Desktop and Install CLOVER and kexts to System Disk and then reboot making sure this time to enter the BIOS >Boot Option Priorities, it is your System Disk that is in # 1 position and everything else is Disabled before booting to CBM .

Thank you for this detailed explanation. I’m not sure what happened as I did not set a default boot drive in clover so upon each reboot I selected the Install High Sierra disk image at the clover boot screen.

I will post some photos when I get back on this in the morning hopefully. I may have to reinstall - I can get the the clover boot screen (without the USB drive) then drives appear (for the reasons you mentioned) but the only option when I insert the USB installer drive is to install HS. So I may end up doing that all over and this time pay close attention to avoid any issues like this! Thanks again!

Hi there,
I did try your suggestions but to no avail. I did set the BIOS settings the same way as in your instructions however. So I ended up starting over - wiping the system drive, I installed High Sierra on it and then installed Multi Beast (following the instructions in the Install HS guide). I then used migration assistant to import my data. It was mostly successful except for the graphics and no wifi hardware found. The graphics issue was flickering colors - any blue color would flicker orange. As if it were a bad cable - which it isn't as I'm booting from my clone backup drive in El Capitan and all is fine).
I updated the NVDIA drivers: macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra (17G65) But that did not fix it.
I installed Clover to that drive and now the drive won't appear as an option to boot from at the CBM. I tried replacing the EFI folder with the folder your kindly uploaded for me. Same problem however.

Also, that same system drive does not appear even in Disk Utility. It just appears as the device but with no drive formatted in it.

I don't mind starting over again if that's what it takes. What order should I update clover etc. Or what should I do here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back