Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This tonymac web page. I am currently running Clover v 5101. Other than updating it to 5102 and adding those drivers, how is it useful to my setup? What does "Installs Clover rc scripts files in /etc, ~/Library/Application Support/Clover and ~/Library/LaunchDaemons. Includes CustoMac default config.plist for UEFI-based systems" do for my setup? My config.plist works for me; is there some gain from installing this Clover build to replace mine? Some explanation would be appreciated (other than "If your setup works for you, leave it alone"),

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
This tonymac web page. I am currently running Clover v 5101. Other than updating it to 5102 and adding those drivers, how is it useful to my setup? What does "Installs Clover rc scripts files in /etc, ~/Library/Application Support/Clover and ~/Library/LaunchDaemons. Includes CustoMac default config.plist for UEFI-based systems" do for my setup? My config.plist works for me; is there some gain from installing this Clover build to replace mine? Some explanation would be appreciated (other than "If your setup works for you, leave it alone"),

Thanks for reading!

NVRAM = Non-Volatile RAM

This is a section of computer memory that does not lose its contents when the computer is turned-off. Your hardware and macOS often both use this area to save important settings - iMessage configuration and GPU driver status for two examples.

Some motherboards feature this as standard, others do not and need us to 'emulate' it so that these settings can be saved between boots. This involves saving the data to files that don't get erased and act as 'pretend' NVRAM.

(I haven't repeated your last sentence as requested).

:)

Hi, Utter Disbelief. Thanks for your reply, but I had no question about NVRAM. I was just wondering what exactly the "Clover Builds" are for. What is the process for using one of them and what exactly does it do for a working system? Or is it intended for adding Clover to a system which doesn't presently use it? Is it a "solution looking for a problem?"

The Clover builds are the same as the versions that are in or will be in MultiBeast. So they are designed for upgrading a current Clover install (but it doesn't replace config.plist) or for a fresh install with a tonymacx86 configured config.plist.

Thank you. It sounds quite a bit like using Clover Configurator's "Install/Update Clover" feature, which can be custom-configured and does not affect the existing config.plist, but can update drivers, etc. I guess if I go that route I don't really need a Clover Build per se.

I appreciate the clarification, thanks again.

What does "Installs Clover rc scripts files in /etc, ~/Library/Application Support/Clover and ~/Library/LaunchDaemons.

On systems that don't have native NVRAM, the RC scripts along with EmuVariableUefi writes what would normally be written to NVRAM in to a file instead. This is how NVRAM is "emulated".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back