Contribute
Register

Trying to tackle a G4 Cube hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will need to get an i5-3570S or an i5-3470T processor for it as any old i5 will not work.

I noticed the i5-3570S just has intel hd 2500 graphics. Does that mean I would want a dedicated graphics card? Can one fit? Sorry I haven't read yours yet maybe you have the answer there.

I noticed the i5-3570S just has intel hd 2500 graphics. Does that mean I would want a dedicated graphics card? Can one fit? Sorry I haven't read yours yet maybe you have the answer there.

joshfabean - if you are going to use the Intel DQ77KB motherboard for your project, please spend time on Intel's web site. You will find a pointer to a listing of approved CPUs for one thing. Here you need to know that you want to choose a CPU that support Intel HD 4000 graphics (and most on the list do not so be sure before purchasing). Also, note there is a pointer to software down loads; most likely you will need to update the BIOS to the current (today it is version ..45, but will most likely change every so often).

While I think that this is a great MB for the Cube project, others may advise something else. The MB is "thin" and unique in some respects; for instance it is not set up to accept normal GPU cards and the intent is that you would use the on board graphics (again choose the CPU that has supported graphics in OS X which is the HD 4000). One of the main attractions of this MB is the on board PSU functionality which saves having to deal with most of the cable harness issues required by standard form factor MBs. While on the Intel web site, download the board specification PDF document as it will give you some guidance on the power budget topic along pin out details of all of the connectors.

Have fun hacking, but do your homework,
neil

neilhart,

Based on what you said about sticking with Intel HD 4000 graphics it appears only 2 chips are compatible with the DQ77KB board, i7-3770S or i3-3225. The price difference is about $150 different. Obviously an i7 would be super nice, I need to do a lot more research and pricing before I make any decisions. Thanks for the input, I now know where to start and what things I need to research before I buy.

The MB is "thin" and unique in some respects; for instance it is not set up to accept normal GPU cards and the intent is that you would use the on board graphics (again choose the CPU that has supported graphics in OS X which is the HD 4000).
Mounting a dedicated video card has been done before but it is not straightforward, simply the amount of room is limited and special mounting (PCI-E extension cable) is required.

Power and heat constraints also mean you can really only chose a low end GPU cards. Given the Intel HD4000 compares favorably to most low end cards, there is little point in adding a dedicated card.

PS. I choose the Intel DQ77KB and i3-3225, and the OS installs fairly effortlessly.

I too chose the i3-3225. The i5-3570S with the HD 2500 Graphics would not be supported in OSX. I think the i7 would generate too much heat and you would probably have to water cool the sucker with a radiator hanging outside the cube, under the desk!

Chaosdesigns,
Would I be able to use the i3 Sandy Bridge with the DQ77KB or will it have to be an Ivy Bridge?
Thanks,
HyperMac5

While the i3-2125 is supported by the board, I don't think it would be supported well by OSX. Generally, when assembling a hack to run OSX, I think the goal is to choose hardware that is similar to one of Apples Mac configurations. That way you get the best "fit" when installing OSX, and to my knowledge, I don't think Apple shipped any Macs with Sandy Bridge CPU's supported by the Ivy Bridge chipset.

Having said that, i have built a system with an i3-2120 Sandy CPU in a Z77-D3H Ivy chipset, but I only installed Snow Leopard on it, not Mountain Lion, and the install was a hybrid install with a kernel that supported Ivy Bridge chips. So I guess it could work.

chaos

While the i3-2125 is supported by the board, I don't think it would be supported well by OSX. Generally, when assembling a hack to run OSX, I think the goal is to choose hardware that is similar to one of Apples Mac configurations. That way you get the best "fit" when installing OSX, and to my knowledge, I don't think Apple shipped any Macs with Sandy Bridge CPU's supported by the Ivy Bridge chipset.

Having said that, i have built a system with an i3-2120 Sandy CPU in a Z77-D3H Ivy chipset, but I only installed Snow Leopard on it, not Mountain Lion, and the install was a hybrid install with a kernel that supported Ivy Bridge chips. So I guess it could work.

chaos
Thanks chaos,
I think I'll go with the i3 everyone is talking about above for ease of installing ML. I want it to work close to perfect.

Okay based on everyone's suggestions I would have to go with the i3. I thought the i7 would be nice because it would then in theory be faster than my current computer which is a i7-3720QM. But if an i7 would have too much heat and possibly cause me problems then I have no issues saving the money and getting an i3. Also this saves me money on the whole build letting me spend it on other things. Right now the "estimated cost" for the computer is $690. But that's without fans, cables, power brick, and any other random thing that comes up while building.

I didn't mention it in my first post but I could use a monitor as well. I do have a 32" 1080 monitor that I use as a small TV that I can use, but that's too big and blurry to really sit close to. The issue with a monitor is my retina MBP has spoiled me as far as screens go, so now everything looks blurry to me. I was thinking since hidpi monitors are normally $400+ (half my budget) would a 1080 20" monitor look alright? I'm sure I can just go to the store and look at one but I wouldn't be able to do that until this weekend and I figured someone here would have the perfect answer for me.

Thanks so much everyone. According to ebay my cube has shipped so I should be getting it soon!

The issue with a monitor is my retina MBP has spoiled me as far as screens go, so now everything looks blurry to me. I was thinking since hidpi monitors are normally $400+ (half my budget) would a 1080 20" monitor look alright?
Is nice to be spoiled

Note: The motherboard has limitations about what it can support (from the manual):

• HDMI: The maximum supported resolution is 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA). The HDMI port is compliant with the HDMI 1.4 specification.
  • DisplayPort’s maximum supported display resolution is 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz refresh with a 16:10 aspect ratio (WQXGA)
I am interested in what hidpi monitors are you considering purchasing? (links if you can please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back