Contribute
Register

Trying to Keep it Simple, G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may end up being my last update, but you never know. For the most part, my mod is complete. I finally got the button for my drive to stay without the wires snapping. I had to get a breadboard that was flat with holes.

IMG_0442.jpg
As you can see, the button is there. My only issue is that I have to push the button to the side to open the drive so that it does not become untaped from the case.

IMG_0443.jpg
You can see here the 140mm fan spinning and my front port working without a hitch.

IMG_0444.jpg
Back shot with all my wires plugged in.

IMG_0445.jpg
With the door open, you can see my setup here. I have my hard drives on top in the back right. One of them (the middle one) is balanced between the one to the right of it and the CD drive. Bad idea I know, but I can't really do anything about it now. I tried my best with wire management. I know it is hard to see from this picture, but until I move my rig I won't be taking a picture of it. Maybe this weekend.

IMG_0448.jpg
I was lucky enough to find this Siberia V2 on sale for $50 at Newegg. IT was a good deal considering it is compatible with Mac/PC/Xbox/PS3.

IMG_0449.jpg
And last, but not least, my disk drive opening!

One Last Update (Maybe)

After some discussion with minihack, I finally got all my parts for my wireless card for a fully functioning wireless adapter.

IMG_0474.jpg
Here you can see the two U.FL laptop antennas which I purchased off eBay. I had to bend some of the plastic for them to fit.

IMG_0475.jpg
And here is the card sitting in the PCI-E bay. I removed the metal shield because it wouldn't look too nice to have things sticking out of it with no antennae. If you look back to when I showed a picture of my back that is what it still looks like, but behind the white plastic bar is an antenna, just like in a real late 2005 model G5!

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 251
Very nice Build :clap:

denisberea said:
Very nice Build :clap:

Thank you! I am still debating if I should cut the metal tray divider or not and find a way to put it back in (for air flow purposes). Also, I need to make a reset switch because I have to force shut down a lot recently (having some issues with Lion). That isn't good for the computer, so yeh, need to find a way to make a reset switch.

Patience, patience, patience and again, patience... :thumbup: fingers crossed! I wanna see the final build coming strong, so good luck :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back