Contribute
Register

Trying to install Windows on second SSD, stuck. Cannot figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
So, I've followed the steps from multiple tutorials and don't seem to be able to do this.

I'm booting into the USB, trying to install windows, b lah blah blah, and within the windows installing screens, I get this message:

"we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the setup log files"

I've seen this issue elsewhere and still I can't resolve it. I've tried formatting, reformatting, plugging and unplugging original drives, I'm at a loss. Can anyone help me here? I've been running into problems for like two weeks trying to get this whole system up and running and I'm at the end of my rope.

Yup I’m having the same exact issue. Mojave working almost flawless on an Alienware R8. Trying to dual boot Windows 10. Have completely disconnected all drives except my target SSD and keep getting the same error you’re getting. Have tried UEFI/Legacy and all sorts of different formatting options. No dice whatsoever. :(

I had some luck by installing Windows via my Mojave Bootcamp...

I downloaded a Windows image and used it to install Windows in Mojave's Bootcamp, which I had set to install on my other drive.

So, from within the Bootcamp'd Windows,
I downloaded the windows USB installer file
and within that windows I created the USB installer.

I rebooted with that usb installer,
formatted the main part of the windows bootcamp thing,
and then installed Windows normally there.
It worked. Seemed to be fine, with exception to way too many icons in my Clover boot area, but overall I think everything was working, from what I remember.

However, I'm back in the same boat. I had some issues and some fears about malware, etc (I'm paranoid. Very.). So I wanted to also go from High Sierra back to Mojave (Despite a lot of compatibility issues with ... my Wacom tablet for example) with a fresh install, in addition to the Windows install. (And swap the drives they were on, reversing the 250GB/500GB arrangement per OS, respectively.)

I have Mojave up and running nicely I believe. I'm on it now.
Now? Trying to figure out how to get Windows on this second SSD...

I'd like to do it without Bootcamp this time -- but I seem to recall impossibilities for some reason. I just COULD NOT make that boot installer work. The one time I did, long ago, was a test where I had a friend with actual Windows and an actual PC use RUFUS to create my USB installer for windows. That one seemed to work. But, so, yeah. That's where I'm at. No real Windows right now...

you have any luck?

Turns out my installer file was botched (I tried to create a custom image via Mac as I didn't have direct access to Windows at the time.) I got ahold of a Windows PC and used the USB Creation program and all worked fine finally. I would maybe suggest you try using a different USB Drive to see if that might be the problem.

I'd like to do it without Bootcamp this time -- but I seem to recall impossibilities for some reason.
The way you should do the Windows install is without bootcamp. You have PC hardware designed to run Windows natively so there's no need for Bootcamp. Simply disconnect the Mojave drive when installing Windows. When done put the Mojave drive first in the BIOS boot order. Select Mojave or Windows from the Clover menu. Note that Windows must be installed UEFI for this to work.

The way you should do the Windows install is without bootcamp. You have PC hardware designed to run Windows natively so there's no need for Bootcamp. Simply disconnect the Mojave drive when installing Windows. When done put the Mojave drive first in the BIOS boot order. Select Mojave or Windows from the Clover menu. Note that Windows must be installed UEFI for this to work.

Well, that was even my intention when I used Bootcamp: I just used Bootcamp so I could have access to Windows in order to create a proper USB Windows installer. And it's sadly looking like I'm going to have to do that again, because I don't have access to a legit windows machine right now :\

I was thinking about doing that (disconnected mac drive, straight up installing windows normally on the other drive plugged in... and just choosing my boot order from BIOS on boot--I don't change often so not a huge issue) , so perhaps I will. If I do that, then the Windows will just show up in Clover? How do I create a Windows UEFI installer?

I was thinking about doing that (disconnected mac drive, straight up installing windows normally on the other drive plugged in... and just choosing my boot order from BIOS on boot--I don't change often so not a huge issue) , so perhaps I will. If I do that, then the Windows will just show up in Clover? How do I create a Windows UEFI installer?
Use Rufus to create a Windows UEFI installer. Disconnect your Mac drive during the installation. After you have installed Windows, reconnect your Mac drive and set it as the first boot device in the BIOS. Windows EFI Boot will appear in the Clover screen.

I'll try using Rufus in mac again then to make the USB from an image I download from microsoft and try that.. I think I did once though, and it wouldn't work. We'll see.... Right now I'm struggling because I can't get friggin' Netflix or Hulu to paly. Oi.

Okay, now here's the first major problem. There's no mac Rufus. I have no access to a windows system, this is entirely the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back