Contribute
Register

Trying to get to installation screen. X299 Ga Aorus 3, i7-7820X, 64g, 1tb nvme, Vega FE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 3
CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
Vega
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I am stuck at the apple logo with progress bar.
I downloaded high sierra yesterday as well as the latest unibeast.
I did not have a problem installing hackintosh with high sierra 3 months ago.
(I literally don't remember if that was with this mobo though as I tried 3 and diff. processors late last year).
Since, I have been using windows.
I have x299 i7-7820X, gigabyte aorus gaming 3, vega frontier, 64g ram, 1tb samsung nvme.
My motherboard settings do not have option for "other os", "cfg-lock".
I was able to disable vt-d, and enable XHCI handoff.
The high sierra download in "get info" says it is 10.3.02, but it is also 10.13 high sierra.
Is the latest unibeast the wrong version to use?
Is the latest high sierra download a problem and has it changed since the last high sierra I used?
I tried a couple boot flags, but nothing changed.
I just don't know why I can't load the installer... Stuck at apple logo with progress bar.
I believe I am getting stuck at the "pci config begins".
I've heard a possible solution here has to do with adding a Fake SMC file to some folders in the EFI folder on my thumb drive?
I also saw a highly detailed thread on here for ASUS prime x299 where some changes were made to the mobo which would not apply to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I get home today I will be updating my Mobo bios from F4 to F8c, trying to redo the bootable USB with Disk Utility and Unibeast all over from scratch, and trying to search harder about the SMC business. I'd love it if anyone has insight on this.

Well, I haven't got to the installation screen yet.
I updated my Mobo bios- no change noticed, but glad I did it.
I set up another computer on my desk to try as well for some parallel testing.
I made a new thumb drive installer with Unibeast 8.2.
I tried 7 but it wouldn't let me select my now 2 day old high sierra download.
So now I see how I can open clover configurator on my MBP with the thumb drive to edit my config on the thumb drive. That's cool!
On both computers though, this thumb drive won't even begin to load. So there's now a much more immediate rejection and it's not just on one computer.
The thumb drive is a 64 Gb usb 3 drive. No graphics drivers selected, just a normal most up to date version of the main "install" guide on here.
So what gives?

Well, I haven't got to the installation screen yet.
I updated my Mobo bios- no change noticed, but glad I did it.
I set up another computer on my desk to try as well for some parallel testing.
I made a new thumb drive installer with Unibeast 8.2.
I tried 7 but it wouldn't let me select my now 2 day old high sierra download.
So now I see how I can open clover configurator on my MBP with the thumb drive to edit my config on the thumb drive. That's cool!
On both computers though, this thumb drive won't even begin to load. So there's now a much more immediate rejection and it's not just on one computer.
The thumb drive is a 64 Gb usb 3 drive. No graphics drivers selected, just a normal most up to date version of the main "install" guide on here.
So what gives?
use a USB2.0 stick and make sure to use a usb2.0 port

Unfortunately I do not have a USB 2.0 port. only 3.0 3.1 and C.
I did just have success on my celeron proc test computer I've got laid out on my desk for testing.
I manually remounted my EFI partition and moved from EFI backups on the installer, the EFI folder to the EFI partition.
It took a long time to boot to the clover menu, but at least it did.
Is this a bug with the latest UniBeast?
Well it's not successful this way anyway. It runs just to get back to the clover menu.

Unfortunately I do not have a USB 2.0 port. only 3.0 3.1 and C.
I did just have success on my celeron proc test computer I've got laid out on my desk for testing.
I manually remounted my EFI partition and moved from EFI backups on the installer, the EFI folder to the EFI partition.
It took a long time to boot to the clover menu, but at least it did.
Is this a bug with the latest UniBeast?
Well it's not successful this way anyway. It runs just to get back to the clover menu.
then make sure to use a usb2.0 USB

So I tried a 16 Gb usb 2.0 drive rather than my 64 Gb usb 3.0 drive.
Results were identical.
For both computers I tried, I could only get to the clover screen if I copied the EFI folder to the mounted EFI partition.
One interesting thing I tried was using both thumb drives at the same time.
With the EFI folder copied on one of them, I could then see both of them.
Neither one made any difference at this point either.
The installation process took me to the PCI config begin no matter what I did.
I found an old usb port 1:4 and it's usb 1.1. It didn't help anything.
So I'm thinking at the moment that it's either the mac os version, the latest unibeast, or my mobo.
Problem: can't get to installer screen from clover screen, and means of getting to clover screen is iffy.
Heading to Fry's now for a PSU (unrelated). perhaps it's worth getting something while there for this?
It's quite frustrating. I wonder if I got a 7700k and a Ga-z270-ud3 I'd be fine... then again I'm not so sure.
I'm going to bring my 2 thumb drives and see if the service dept. guys can get to the installer screen on one of their computers.

Still any help would be great. Been a mac guy all my life and now as a M. Engineer I'm conflicted since all my work software is Windows only. I don't care though, I dislike windows and I want my expensive new computer to run MacOS. I don't think trying to sell my mobo and proc would go over very well. I see a member on here has an i9 and the "9" version of my mobo... Mine is the aurus gaming 3 not 9. I certainly find my bios limited. No where to select "other OS" for example.

I have a hard time believing it's my mobo though since I have an ASRock z70 here I'm trying as well and it's having the identical issues. There are 2 unibeast versions for high sierra. Only the latest one will let me select the latest high sierra download from apple.

I just re-downloaded mac os. It's the same of course, 13.3.02.
An earlier version of high sierra worked for me on my USB 3.0 64 GB ( i may have had to split it to 32gb x 2 partitions.. I don't see anyone talking about this now though) on a ga-z270-ud3 mobo with i7-7700k, and my same other stuff: 4x16gb 2666 patriot ram, samsung tb nvme. I feel like the winning combo there was an earlier release of both unibeast and macos. Why is it that the only way I can get to the clover screen is by copying the EFI folder from EFI backups, to the mounted EFI partition?

20180310_095039.jpg
20180310_093258.jpg

So I tried a 16 Gb usb 2.0 drive rather than my 64 Gb usb 3.0 drive.
Results were identical.
For both computers I tried, I could only get to the clover screen if I copied the EFI folder to the mounted EFI partition.
One interesting thing I tried was using both thumb drives at the same time.
With the EFI folder copied on one of them, I could then see both of them.
Neither one made any difference at this point either.
The installation process took me to the PCI config begin no matter what I did.
I found an old usb port 1:4 and it's usb 1.1. It didn't help anything.
So I'm thinking at the moment that it's either the mac os version, the latest unibeast, or my mobo.
Problem: can't get to installer screen from clover screen, and means of getting to clover screen is iffy.
Heading to Fry's now for a PSU (unrelated). perhaps it's worth getting something while there for this?
It's quite frustrating. I wonder if I got a 7700k and a Ga-z270-ud3 I'd be fine... then again I'm not so sure.
I'm going to bring my 2 thumb drives and see if the service dept. guys can get to the installer screen on one of their computers.

Still any help would be great. Been a mac guy all my life and now as a M. Engineer I'm conflicted since all my work software is Windows only. I don't care though, I dislike windows and I want my expensive new computer to run MacOS. I don't think trying to sell my mobo and proc would go over very well. I see a member on here has an i9 and the "9" version of my mobo... Mine is the aurus gaming 3 not 9. I certainly find my bios limited. No where to select "other OS" for example.

I have a hard time believing it's my mobo though since I have an ASRock z70 here I'm trying as well and it's having the identical issues. There are 2 unibeast versions for high sierra. Only the latest one will let me select the latest high sierra download from apple.

I just re-downloaded mac os. It's the same of course, 13.3.02.
An earlier version of high sierra worked for me on my USB 3.0 64 GB ( i may have had to split it to 32gb x 2 partitions.. I don't see anyone talking about this now though) on a ga-z270-ud3 mobo with i7-7700k, and my same other stuff: 4x16gb 2666 patriot ram, samsung tb nvme. I feel like the winning combo there was an earlier release of both unibeast and macos. Why is it that the only way I can get to the clover screen is by copying the EFI folder from EFI backups, to the mounted EFI partition?

View attachment 318405 View attachment 318406
this may help although it is for gaming 9 though
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-i9-7900x-x299-ga-aorus-9-radeon-vega.229006/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back