Graphics
PNY Quadro 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am trying to get the 6950 (MSI Twin Frozer II) with the ASU P8Z68-V Pro but I have gotten no luck using various methods on these forums. I got to the point where I could install and boot into Mountain Lion but with the Graphics card removed. Any help will be appreciated.

(First time posting anything on this forum so any suggestions of ways of posting will be helpful)

I've the same problem with my Sapphire Radeon HD 6950. I tried to install some kext but with no luck.

I am trying to get the 6950 (MSI Twin Frozer II) with the ASU P8Z68-V Pro but I have gotten no luck using various methods on these forums. I got to the point where I could install and boot into Mountain Lion but with the Graphics card removed. Any help will be appreciated.

(First time posting anything on this forum so any suggestions of ways of posting will be helpful)

Looks like we have an almost-identical system.
Have you tried using the onboard graphics card to boot up and then switch to the 6950?
For ML GM (which I'm using) I had to use a patched kext on netkas' forums. It still presents the cold boot bug and many artifacts and whatnot on engines that use OpenCL, but at least most things are smooth. Go look it up and read the forums! If you can't find it I'll try to link you with my file.

On System Profiler I get ATI Radeon 6xxx card, but if I use AtiConfig for teh bootloader with Gibba, I get the card name, except VGA and DVI work only (not HDMI).

So yeah.

Also, if you didn't mess up your installation USB (like removing the ATI6000Controller.kext) when you stilled ML, try booting into single-user mode, and remove that from S/L/E, then try to boot. You should get to desktop but no QE/CI or resolution.

try this,

1). enter bios, make sure on board graphics are enabled (don't remove the PCI card)
make sure device is set to auto

2). plug the monitor into the on board graphics port. And nothing else.

3). install ML using unibeast and when you have your system up and running after multi beast. restart it.

4). everything ok? good, now shut down, remove cables from on board graphics and plug them back into the PCI card, and power up.

weirdly as long as the card is in the machine as you go through the process it seems to work when you plug it all back in
if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas ;-)

I was able to get ML to boot with my 6950 by having my bios initialize my iGPU first and leaving my 6950 in and plugged in to a different monitor source. Mountain Lion uses my igpu to do its initial boot up stuff and then eventually outputs fully booted Mountain Lion to my 6950. I used the netkas patched kext but it seems netkas has not yet released a patched kext for the release version of ML the latest they have available was for developer preview 4.

I think this might be the reason that even though I can run the 6950 at full resolution it is really choppy and slow for things like the Laucnhpad etc. I dont think I am getting full graphics acceleration. If anyone else has made it any farther then this please let me know.

I know this isn't a terribly constructive comment, but I am having the exact same issues -- the graphics card is working, however it is slow and choppy (seems like vsync issues?) like you explained, especially for applications like Dashboard.

I tried to install a game (just to have something graphically-intensive to test with), and the application would not even start. It just presented me with an error that reads "Unable to detect pixel format"

I'd be very interested to know if a solution is ever found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back