Contribute
Register

Trying to boot El Capitan from Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512G)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte LGA 1151 Z170
CPU
Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello,

I am completely new to building my own PC. A beginner to Hackintosh and a white belt to software installation. After hours of struggling to get past the frozen Apple logo on the installation process, I ran into another ordeal.

I recently purchased a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512g) after doing extensive research, with the intention of setting it as my boot drive. I know I installed it correctly because it shows up in my BIOS (GA-Z170xp SLI Motherboard).

After using Clover in a USB (UNIBEAST), I get to the "select language tab" on El Capitan. I choose English and then I am directed into the next screen where I click disk utility.

HERE'S where I run into the issue:

When selecting which drive I would like to install El Capitan on, my M.2 drive doesn't show up as an option. Only the USB and my 3 terabyte seagate hard drive I got so save files on.

Can anyone help me (in the simplest/most detailed way possible) on how to go about setting my 950 pro as a boot drive for El Capitan on my PC? Or any alternatives as to how to go about getting El Capitan on the m.2 drive?

Thanks

Hello,

I am completely new to building my own PC. A beginner to Hackintosh and a white belt to software installation. After hours of struggling to get past the frozen Apple logo on the installation process, I ran into another ordeal.

I recently purchased a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512g) after doing extensive research, with the intention of setting it as my boot drive. I know I installed it correctly because it shows up in my BIOS (GA-Z170xp SLI Motherboard).

After using Clover in a USB (UNIBEAST), I get to the "select language tab" on El Capitan. I choose English and then I am directed into the next screen where I click disk utility.

HERE'S where I run into the issue:

When selecting which drive I would like to install El Capitan on, my M.2 drive doesn't show up as an option. Only the USB and my 3 terabyte seagate hard drive I got so save files on.

Can anyone help me (in the simplest/most detailed way possible) on how to go about setting my 950 pro as a boot drive for El Capitan on my PC? Or any alternatives as to how to go about getting El Capitan on the m.2 drive?

Thanks
You have a lot of work ahead of you my friend, and it's not the simple for someone who has no experience. To be able to see your drive since it is a NVME drive, you need to download and install the nvmegeneric.kext from macvidcards.com and place it into your 10.11/kext folder of your mounted EFI partition of your unibeast drive. i would suggest reading forums from this website about name and samsung 950 pro. Thats a good place to start. you will get a lot of answers

Check out Stork's GENE thread here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/s...s-viii-gene-i5-6600k-gigabyte-gtx-950.181272/

Stork uses a SM 950 Pro like yours to boot from. He is very detailed in his instructions. Read through the whole thing if necessary, just to familiarize yourself with what to do with the NVMEgeneric.kext. Basically, you need to install that kext on your USB thumb drive so that it will recognize your 950 Pro. Then, once you've installed the OS, you will also need to install it on your 950 Pro so that the computer will continue to be able to read/write to/from that drive without the Unibeast USB. Take your time and work through everything slowly, making sure you understand each step. That's why I pointed you to Stork's thread. He may have different components than you, but the part about when and where to use that kext is important for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back