Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
I have four sticks of 4 gb each of Ballistic sport in my hackintosh. I just bought 16gb of Vengeance LPX to add. MY ballistic ram is at 2133 and my new ram is at 2666MHz. Is that a problem? Also when I took out some of the 4gb sticks now Im having issues getting the right configuration back up to 16. Also the slots that my mac says the RAM are in are not correct.
Should I return the new ram and just get more Ballistic Ram?

If you can see the RAM in Windows then it should be fine.

Clover's support for DDR4 is not complete and has some bugs:

1. The spd (Serial Presence Detect) code for DDR4 does not calculate RAM module size correctly.
  2. Clover doesn't calculate the RAM speed from spd for DDR4.
  3. XMPDetection for DDR4 is not implemented in Clover so changing that option does nothing.
  4. Clover does not read the second page of DDR4 spd data, so the manufacturer, serial number, part number, and XMP info are incorrect.
  5. Clover does not use the manufacturer code correctly from DDR4 spd.
  6. Clover doesn't understand XMP 2.0.

I've fixed all the above in my version of Clover. I just need to figure out the best place to post the changes. Those are just the spd problems. The SMBIOS related code may have it's own issues (what does the Trust option actually do - it seems to mix the crappy spd values with SMBIOS values or something). I haven't looked at it since I decided to work on the spd problems instead.

I think you should look at writing your RAM information into the SMBIOS section of Clover config.plist.

That would be great but I dont think Im smart enough to fix that in writing the new code. LOL
I just wanted to know if I should return the new ram because its seems it not reading it. Through moving sticks of ram Im now up to 20 gbs of 32 that the computer can recognize. I think my next step is to take out all the original ram and just add the new ones and then go on from there to add each 4 gb stick. I have been told it shouldnt matter and you can put them in any of the 8 slots but thats not the case for me. It might be using the ram but I keep getting messages at the startup saying they arnt in their optimal slots.

Ignore what the Mac OS says, and do whatever Windows tells you to do. If the memory is visible and optimal in Windows, then leave it that way.

For booting into Mac OS X, edit the Clover config.plist. The memory options for config.plist are listed here:
https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/SMBIOS#smbios_memory

Google for "<key>Memory</key>" and "<key>Modules</key>" and config to find other people's examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back