Graphics
RX5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I started from scratch with a new USB stick, formatted, ran the new Catalina Unibeast, booted the install stick... got the new Clover 5xxx, selected MacOS Installer, got to the Apple logo boot screen... the last 10 percent of progress was agonisingly slow... then got to 100 percent and apparently hung. Nothing happening. After about an hour I power-cycled and tried again with the same result.

Is there supposed to be a long, long pause at this point (like many minutes)? Should I just go away for an hour and come back later?

I was worried about leaving it unattended because I'm trying to install Catalina on a disk other than my Mojave boot disk (for safety's sake) and didn't want some auto-install procedure to start if I was not there to interact with the installer. However, it gets really boring watching a 100 percent progress bar do nothing at all :)

Any advice?

Having failed even to get as far as the Installer with Unibeast-10-built boot stick using Clover v5, I decided to try something different. Maybe there's a way around...

Internal Mojave boot disk is called OSX (because I'm sentimental, I guess?).
External target Catalina install disk is called CATALINA.

1. boot into Mojave: UEFI on OSX, MacOS on OSX.
  2. plug in external USB SSD drive 512GB, CATALINA.
  3. run Catalina Installer from Applications folder; tell it to install on external USB SSD CATALINA
  4. get through initial dialogue screens, do the install... succeeds
  5. get to first reboot. doesn't work, of course. disk not yet bootable.
  6. intervention: boot back to Mojave, transfer EFI folder from USB stick onto external CATALINA EFI partition.
  7. also copy over config.plist from Mojave boot EFI partition, because I don't want to change my serial num, sys id etc.
  8. edit config.plist on CATALINA EFI, so default boot drive is CATALINA
  9. do tedious "EC hack" (edit EC0 to be EC in ACPI) (F4 in clover, get DSDT file, use MacIASL, find target, determine needed edit, add to ACPI patches in Clover Configurator, save file, verify using Terminal and fgrep/vi)
  10. configure distinctive Clover theme for CATALINA EFI boot, so I can tell which Clover is booting :)
  11. try booting CATALINA, selecting it at BIOS boot menu
  12. get distinctive theme, looking good... choose MacOS Installer from CATALINA and boot
  13. boot starts, runs OK for a while then Thud, white screen lettering scrambled/overwritten, negacircle appears.
grit teeth. been at this screen so many times... got there so many different ways... so annoying. at least, working with this external disk, I'm not trashing my Mojave boot drive!

BTW, if I boot the CATALINA Clover UEFI, with its config.plist etc, I can then select and boot Mojave on OSX just fine. So Clover5 with my working config.plist for Mojave (which was created under Clover4), boots Mojave without a hitch.

But if I select and boot Install MacOS Catalina with same Clover5, then I get partway through the boot and then die horribly with the white negacircle.

Next: verbose boot? safe boot?
--------------------------------------------
Tried single user boot, no joy. Then it came back to me in a blinding flash: doesn't MacOS installer have some issue with USB3? So I moved my USB3 SSD to a USB2 port (waste of device performance!) and now I can get that installer running again. Of course, it then decided to hang at "less than a minute remaining". But it's a step forward.
--------------------------------------------

If I try to boot "Prebooter" then I get a blank gray screen. Waited 10m or so, no action. Gave up on that.
If I try to boot Catalina, I get stuck at "PCI Configuration End."
I think perhaps it's time to review my kexts? Googling reveals several possible fixes for hanging here, but most seem related to kexts.

Last edited:
I started from scratch with a new USB stick, formatted, ran the new Catalina Unibeast, booted the install stick... got the new Clover 5xxx, selected MacOS Installer, got to the Apple logo boot screen... the last 10 percent of progress was agonisingly slow... then got to 100 percent and apparently hung. Nothing happening. After about an hour I power-cycled and tried again with the same result.

Is there supposed to be a long, long pause at this point (like many minutes)? Should I just go away for an hour and come back later?

I was worried about leaving it unattended because I'm trying to install Catalina on a disk other than my Mojave boot disk (for safety's sake) and didn't want some auto-install procedure to start if I was not there to interact with the installer. However, it gets really boring watching a 100 percent progress bar do nothing at all :)

Any advice?

I also have the similar experience, it is a never ending .... process, I already give up Unibeast since OSX 10.9 (create the boot USB using tony's guide)

you may use the time command to check it take how long to finish the job, ~ for Catalina installer (8GB), it takes < 12 minutes
Code:
time sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

I'm also hung at what looks like 100% on the Apple installer screen (screen with only the logo of Apple with a silver line underneath).

I rebooted and chose the UEFI external, it got to the Apple installer screen again, and unfortunately hung again at 100%.

Any ideas? I'm really not sure what to try next. I set up my UEFI bios well, but am wondering if there's a particular setting that creates this phenomenon?

Thanks guys!

:)

Dell e6230 8GB ram intel 4000 graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back