i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
I am making this thread to let the community know that the newer Pascal GPU (I have a GTX 1060 6GB) with latest web drivers, fully support 10-bit on Photoshop CC 2017 (and I think with the whole Adobe Suite). I have the latest version of Photoshop, so I don't know if it works for older (Release 2017.1.0, build 20170309.r.207)

Stated this, it's not as intuitive as it seems. I obviously downloaded ResXtreme to enable 10-bit, then checked if the Monitor settings were 30-bit, enabled 30-bit in Photoshop, and then opened a PSD to test if they were working. And they WERE NOT.
So I tought that it was like Windows, where Pascal GPUs support 10-bit but only on desktop or games or such, Adobe only support Quadro/FirePro.

Then I did another thing, and there is the magic. I DISABLED 10-bit from ResXtreme (you can also use SwitchResX, but I don't like it and it is also costy, ResXtreme is free). I checked that the Monitor showed 32-bit. Then in Photoshop I still checked the "enable 30-bit" checkbox.
I opened the test PSD, and the banding was gone! So the 10-bit really works, even with GTX Pascal, no need of Quadro cards!
It has a strange way of setting up, but It works!
In addition, 10bit on Adobe is not possible on Windows with GTX, but only with Quadro. You can enable it in Photoshop, but it doesn't work.

Fast recap: To enable 10 bit on Photoshop, be sure that you have 32-bit enabled in the Monitor settings, enable the 30-bit in Photoshop, and you're good to go.

I thought It was good to share with the community, that gave so much to me, I would like to give something back. If someone needs a 10-bit workflow, can spend a lot less with a GTX than a Quadro, so I hope that someone else can find this useful.

Screenshot to make things clearer. Maybe the banding in the screenshot is still present, just cause of the hosting. If you don't trust me I can show you a smartphone picture of my screen before and after 32-bit enabling lol
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4189/33588074014_cee9f6fd86_o.png

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for putting this together.
I've just tested it and it seems to work.
I'm using a GTX680 and Dell U2713H monitor, which supports 10bit.

But the thing that confuses me, is that I was sure there wasn't 10bit support for the 680, but perhaps I'm wrong.
I'd really like to think it's working but something doesn't add up.

Any further experience? thinking about new GPU to support my integrated one in i4460 - mainly for FCPx and LR and PS.. 10bit color support would be nice! can anyone else confirm this works? Thanks

Thanks for this man!
I bought a new 10bit monitor but doesnt have Quadro 10bit card.
It will be a good solution for my DaVinci Resolve workflow, ill try it to turn on 10bit in colorgrading tools

Any more experiences with this? Running High Sierra (13.2) with the GTX 1080 and I see 30-bit color in System Profiler, but when I open a 10-bit test ramp PSD (zip attached) in either CS6 or Resolve, I see banding.

Attachments

• 10-bit-test-ramp.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 259
The attached test is perfectly smooth with GTX 980Ti on Sierra (10.12.6) with 10bit Nec display.

any news for 10bit support?
can anyone test 10bit mode in DaVinci Resolve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back