i3-10105T
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  1. An Optiplex 7010 is outfitted with Catalina.
  2. Big Sur installer downloaded and installed via https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS
  3. Big Sur installed to USB stick via command line:
  4. Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 3.04.48 PM.png
  5. Standalone Clover bootloader v5.0 35123 installed to USB stick per:
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 3.06.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 3.09.21 PM.png
    reference: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-big-sur-public-beta-installation-usb.300100/
  6. Dell Bios did not recognize USB stick as UEFI and failed to boot though BIOS
  7. Per step 15 (above) Multibeast for Catalina was applied to USB
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 3.28.18 PM.png
  8. Boot was halted with : "The version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform"
Is it possible to diagnose what went wrong from the information provided?

Last edited:
"The version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform"
This means that the SMBIOS that you have chosen is not supported in the OS version that you are attempting to install.

@P1LGRIM. Thank you for the explanation. Is the SMBIOS a file that I can choose & configure or is this locked to the hardware? Despite a Google search. A newbie explanation of SMBIOS with examples would be appreciated. I am struggling to understand what exactly is the SMBIOS and its function. I am sensing that Big Sur has dropped support for the HD4000 iGPU: hopefully I am wrong or their is a fix / patch to enable the HD4000 iGPU

The Optiplex is outfitted with an i7-3770 and shows as a Mac mini Server (late 2012) and configured by OS X as a MacMini6,2. The CPU number: i3770 is actually greater than the standard issue Intel i7 3615QM found in the Mac mini server.

A newbie explanation of SMBIOS with examples would be appreciated.
I've never seen Apple associate a specific Mac model with the term SMBIOS. For some reason, the hackintosh community uses SMBIOS instead of Mac model. The term system management BIOS (SMBIOS) is more often associated with PCs not Macs. There is a Wiki you can read about this.

A better term to describe the SMBIOS for Macs would be "Model Identifier."

Here's some of the earliest Macs that Apple started using these for.
This ID system started back in the latter 1990s.

Screen Shot 14.jpg

Here's the ones most commonly used for a hackintosh. iMacs are generally the best choice for desktops.
Apple dropped support for iMac 14,2 with Big Sur. That was the most common choice through Catalina.

Screen Shot 15.jpg

You need one that Big Sur supports. Try either iMac 15,1 or Mac Pro 6,1. Those should work. HD4000 will still work as well with the proper HD4000 ig-platform-id in the config.plist.

Last edited:
A second Catalina disk was outfitted with Unibeast as an 27" mid 2015 iMac in the Optiplex 7010. The procedures was performed a second time and the USB stick does not boot and suffers the same error: This Version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform? Is the "Platform" the Dell Optiplex 7010 hardware? Did I misunderstand the guidance above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back