CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my first foray into the world of X99, and am aware that I am in bleeding edge territory.

I have read of a few others who have gotten the Gigabyte's GC Thunderbolt 2 card to work with the X99-UD4 in OS X, so I assumed I could eventually figure it out..

I have a good deal of experience with other Thunderbolt-equipped motherboards (Gigabyte Z97x-UD7 TH, Z87x-UD5 TH, Z77MX-D3H-TH & Z77x-UD5 TH) as well as those that require TB add-on cards (Asus Gryphon with ThunderboltEX II single and Dual).

I am running the GA-X99-UD4 along with a 5820K and 32GB of Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz RAM. My need for Thunderbolt capability is due the audio interfaces I use, which are Thunderbolt-only (Universal Audio's Apollo and Apollo Twin). The BIOS I am running is F12 (there is a F13a out, but I try to avoid dealing with betas).

The manual for the motherboard indicates that the card can be installed in either PCIe slots 2 or 3; but the manual for the GC Thunderbolt 2 states that when installed in PCIe slot 3 and running alongside a 5820K, I 'must set Thunderbolt Card Location to PCIe Slot 3 (x4)'.

Unfortunately, the 'set Thunderbolt Card Location' option is not available in my BIOS, (it should be located in between 'Security Level' and 'Thunderbolt PICe Cache-Line Size'), so after trying both slots - I opted to leave it in #2.

The best I've been able to do is get Thunderbolt devices to show up in Windows 7 intermittently, which has never been the case with any other Thunderbolt-capable motherboard or card I have used (although the Asus ThunderboltEX II gave me some issues in OS X for a bit).

For those of you who have been successful in getting this TB card to work, which rev of BIOS are you running, and what config was used in the BIOS?

In 'Peripherals > Thunderbolt' I have always set 'Security Level' to 'Legacy' and 'PCIe Cache-line Size' to '128'. I have also always set 'Wake from Thunderbolt Devices' to 'Disabled', but that option is not present in this system...

Also, I would like to know which version of Thunderbolt driver was used, as I find the driver situation for this build to be most confusing of all that I've worked with..

Although the manual for the GC Thunderbolt 2 asks to download the latest driver from the card's support page (3.0.19 at this time), there is also a Thunderbolt driver available on the motherboard's page (1.4.0), which is not mentioned in the card's manual.

Lastly, the manual for the TB card says to load the driver after installing the card - but my past experience with ASUS ThunderboltEX II had me try the opposite, which actually led to more success in Windows..

So yeah, any additional insight, thoughts, suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT: Components of build listed in my signature as 'Beta Build'.

Well, I tried installing the latest beta BIOS and tried multiple tweaks to the Thunderbolt settings, but was not able to have my LaCie Thunderbolt drive appear in OS X. :banghead:

I wonder if it has do with the fact that there is no 'Wake From Thunderbolt' option in the 'Peripherals > Thunderbolt' menu.... All my other builds I would have to set that option to 'Disable' before Thunderbolt functionality could be acheived.... Hmmmm...

Did you ever have any success with this? I have a very similar build and the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back