Contribute
Register

Trouble with USB on ProBook 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried and the 30 sec fix doesn't matter, with or without it applied USB is still unstable. I think the problem is that when the BT firmware isn't available, the IOBluetoothHostControllerTransport tries to load Bluetooth every 5 seconds and after each unsuccessful try it resets it, sending all USB devices on the same hub to hell with it. See the attached Console log showing two repetitions of the problem (BTFirmwareUploader missing, 30 sec fix off). My USB mouse didn't work exactly during the BT reset phase (23:34:33, 23:34:39).

Based on your testing/results, I concur. And it seems like something new in Yosemite.

I'll try to change BTFirmwareUploader for IOath3kfrmwr and see what happens, although I think I tried last week and the problems were still there. Does IOath3kfrmwr have to be installed in /S/L/E, or is EFI/Clover/kexts enough?

I don't use IOath3kfrmwr anymore as I don't have BT, so I've never tested with Clover. I don't really use EFI/Clover/kexts except for kexts which are used to boot installers or recovery partitions. I prefer to install to /S/L/E, where they always work.

Based on your testing/results, I concur. And it seems like something new in Yosemite.
Yeah, I think in previous versions it only retried a few times and then it didn't try again.

I don't use IOath3kfrmwr anymore as I don't have BT, so I've never tested with Clover. I don't really use EFI/Clover/kexts except for kexts which are used to boot installers or recovery partitions. I prefer to install to /S/L/E, where they always work.

I actually like the idea of having everything hackintosh-related in the EFI folder, so when you decide to do a clean install, you can just format the OS X partition and install there again and everything is working without further modifications. It feels more native to me. Of course, you won't get Clover's RC scripts or LocalTimeToggle etc. reinstalled this way, so it's not a complete solution.

Anyway, just now I had a freeze 30s after wake which I suspect was caused by BTFirmwareUploader, because the USBs didn't work properly again and from the first look at the log, BTFirmwareUploader seems to be the culprit. I'll post the log after breakfast and then I'll try IOath3kfrmwr.

EDIT: I attached the freeze log (from wake to freeze), but I now think it froze because I had BTFirmwareUploader in /EFI/Clover/kexts instead of /S/L/E. It's weird that it worked for two weeks there and now it doesn't. Hmm.
I also tried IOath3kfrmwr and it works now, USBs are fine and sleep is too. I'm quite sure it didn't work two weeks ago, but now it does. Hmm.

Attachments

• Freeze.log
    84.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I actually like the idea of having everything hackintosh-related in the EFI folder, so when you decide to do a clean install, you can just format the OS X partition and install there again and everything is working without further modifications. It feels more native to me. Of course, you won't get Clover's RC scripts or LocalTimeToggle etc. reinstalled this way, so it's not a complete solution.

Also certain kexts don't work from there... It is a waste of time trying it that way. Kext injection should be used only when necessary (recovery, installer, etc)

"Feels more native"... but actually it is anything but native.

Very good information on this post. I've updated last night to 10.10.1 and everything worked fine until I decided to also update all the kext with HP Probook Installer Clover Edition 6.2.14.1 (which was just released last night). After a reboot, my wireless USB mouse was out of control and the Bluetooth Keyboard Setup wizard appeared on the screen after each reboot, even though the keyboard works fine (HP Probook 4530s). After one hour of searching and reading I've find on page 3 of this post that the "BTFirmwareUploader.kext" was the issue and that it is an optional entry in the installer. Everything works fine now, again. Thanks!

I had the same problem, and solved by running hp tool and installed all kext again. Does installation of BTfirmwareuploader.kext again cause reboots after sleep? In my case yes, laptop reboot quite often :banghead:

I don't even use BT, can I disable it totally?

... Does installation of BTfirmwareuploader.kext again cause reboots after sleep? In my case yes, laptop reboot quite often :banghead:

This rebooting after sleep has been reported by several. Removing BTfirmwareuploader seems to fix that problem.

I don't even use BT, can I disable it totally?

Yes. Tape the pins that allow it access to the USB bus or install a WiFi card with no BT.

I've talked too soon...It looks like I still have an issue...it's with Wi-Fi. Apparently it works, but the icon on the panel looks like it's not connected. When I click it, I can see that it is connected to my Wi-Fi network. Very strange...

I've talked too soon...It looks like I still have an issue...it's with Wi-Fi. Apparently it works, but the icon on the panel looks like it's not connected. When I click it, I can see that it is connected to my Wi-Fi network. Very strange...

You should probably post a screen shot to better describe what you're seeing and to fully define terms like "the icon" and "the panel".

But WiFi is rather off-topic for this thread related to USB.

You should probably post a screen shot to better describe what you're seeing and to fully define terms like "the icon" and "the panel".

But WiFi is rather off-topic for this thread related to USB.

Indeed. Sorry, it looks like it's working well now. The Wi-Fi icon in the menubar looked like I had no signal (zero bold bars), but at the same time I was downloading stuff at high speed (1-2 MB/s). I disconnected the network and reconnected it, which appears to have fix the issue. Sorry again for the off-topic!

I have just got this issue too(( Havent touch anything. may wife or a kid dont know. USB 3.0 is presented and working only when u boot with usb already connected. Then i got left usb controller to glitch a bit. and now all 4 usb ports dont want to work(( EC reset done. Kext Wizard with permissions-done. New PBI - installed. No luck. any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back