CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have installed Snow Leopard 10.6 from a retail disc using iboot haswell but i'm having trouble progressing any further. I can only boot using the -x safe mode and this stops me from using ethernet and external drives/ discs. This means that i can't get the 10.6.8 update or multibeast onto the computer.

I am using:

Intel-4770k
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
Nvidia GTX 660ti

I have also changed bios settings as instructed by the various guides i have read. Except for:

Hpet to 64 and virtualization which i cannot find either of (may be called something else on my motherboard)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as it is my first time installing OSX and i don't have access to a computer already running it in order to simplify the process.

I have installed Snow Leopard 10.6 from a retail disc using iboot haswell but i'm having trouble progressing any further. I can only boot using the -x safe mode and this stops me from using ethernet and external drives/ discs. This means that i can't get the 10.6.8 update or multibeast onto the computer.

I am using:

Intel-4770k
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
Nvidia GTX 660ti

I have also changed bios settings as instructed by the various guides i have read. Except for:

Hpet to 64 and virtualization which i cannot find either of (may be called something else on my motherboard)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as it is my first time installing OSX and i don't have access to a computer already running it in order to simplify the process.

Cyberpickle

You are using the Haswell IBoot CD are you not....

Do not use a video card at this time - your CPU GFX should be HD4500 or higher!

Also you need to use onboard video of the CPU and set the BIOS for that w the ram for the video at 64 megs.

You should also use the following startup commands - "-v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No"

Have only one drive connected (DVD and HD) DVD to port 4; HD to port 0 and use - a USB KeyBoard and Mouse. Check the BIOS for legacy USB support this needs to be enabled.

I believe that this motherboard was used for a Haswell build.

See this video - for some help - its for Ivy Bridge Hardware but you should be able to follow and compare.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/340-snow-leopard-mountain-lion-ivy-bridge-installation-video-guide.html

And of course you know about this link -
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...os-x-10-6-snow-leopard-haswell-based-pcs.html

You should read and follow the guide for Snow Leopard install which is a general way to use our tools.

DO note that using MultiBeast will not work on this hardware. Nor should you use MultiBeast. This procedure is to get your system to the Apple App store so you can purchase OSX ML and make a UniBeast thumb drive.

Take pictures and post back what it stops on.

photo.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I am using the iboot for haswell from the guide you mentioned.

After removing the 660ti and plugging in the sata cables to different plugs I set my bios to optimized defaults and then changed the options I needed, I get the errors pictured when using " -v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No " I'm new to this so these kernel panics don't give me a lot of information to help fix the problem.

When simply using -x i can boot straight into OSX in safe mode but that doesn't let me do anything.

View attachment 69239

Thanks for the advice. I am using the iboot for haswell from the guide you mentioned.

After removing the 660ti and plugging in the sata cables to different plugs I set my bios to optimized defaults and then changed the options I needed, I get the errors pictured when using " -v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No " I'm new to this so these kernel panics don't give me a lot of information to help fix the problem.

When simply using -x i can boot straight into OSX in safe mode but that doesn't let me do anything.

CyberPickle

First off if this motherboard has USB 3.0 they will not be working so any USB activity needs to be on USB 2.0 ports. USB 3 is not functional on OSX SL.

WHen you add the -x - this means use safe mode which limits what the whole system will do.

USB ports may not work. Video is basic.

You could prep the drive which is needed to do.

SUggest you try it w the -x -v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No

You may need to find the VD-t in the BIOS and disable this - used for virtualization by the CPU.

Well i have had a bit of luck updating to 10.6.8 by modifying the iboot for haswell image to include the combo update.dmg as safe mode wont allow the use of usb drives or discs that weren't made using an .iso

Now i have to get internet working and i should be able to go straight to mavericks.

Thanks for all the help but even with the correct bios and hardware changes i haven't had any luck booting without using safe mode.

i guess there is just some part of my setup that doesn't play well with osx.

It isn't that it won't play well with OS X - just that Snow Leopard's lack of support won't play well with Haswell hardware. Once you install 10.9 you should be OK.

Well i have had a bit of luck updating to 10.6.8 by modifying the iboot for haswell image to include the combo update.dmg as safe mode wont allow the use of usb drives or discs that weren't made using an .iso

Now i have to get internet working and i should be able to go straight to mavericks.

Thanks for all the help but even with the correct bios and hardware changes i haven't had any luck booting without using safe mode.

i guess there is just some part of my setup that doesn't play well with osx.

CyberPickle

You should document you changes and post them as this solution will be the only way others can get to OSX Mavericks on Haswell hardware if they do not have a Mac or a Hack already built.

It would be good to know that it can be done and what steps others will need to do.

Also FYI its reported that ASUS Z87 motherboards are having issues w OSX Mavericks for installs as ASUS has locked the bios so that you can not mod it to be more compatible w OSX.
Which was what one could due w a ASUS Z77 motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back