Contribute
Register

Trouble with installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I misread or read into what you posted about "FakeSMC stuff".
One other point: have you made in config.plist>Graphics [
72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif
] Inject NVidia, if "True", make it "False" and see.

I'm sorry -- the way I phrased that was confusing.

I do not have "Inject NVidia" enabled, because from what I read, it doesn't work correctly in 10.12.4 or later.

FakeSMC.kext was not causing the kernel panic. I didn't remove that. It was the FakeSMC GPU plugin that was causing the panic. I removed all of the plugins, but I left the FakeSMC.kext in place. The one I have is newer than the one you uploaded, and it's working fine.

I had already done this. I just did it again, and I'm still having the same problems. Have to boot in verbose mode or the signal from the GPU is lost, and when I select the NVIDIA web drivers in Sierra, the setting reverts to OS X Default Graphics Driver after reboot.

I was getting KPs. Reinstalled with only the required fakeSMC option. No hardware monitors stuff. That fixed it.

I was getting KPs. Reinstalled with only the required fakeSMC option. No hardware monitors stuff. That fixed it.

After posting my reply, I tried reinstalling all of the HW Monitor plugins except for the GPU plugin. They work fine, with no kernel panics. Too bad the GPU plugin causes problems -- it would be nice to be able to get temperature readings and fan speeds off the GPU too, once I can get it working properly.

Still no luck on that front either. Apparently I'm not the only person having this issue with NVIDIA graphics cards since the 10.12.5 update. I might be the only person who had them with 10.12.4 too though.

After posting my reply, I tried reinstalling all of the HW Monitor plugins except for the GPU plugin. They work fine, with no kernel panics. Too bad the GPU plugin causes problems -- it would be nice to be able to get temperature readings and fan speeds off the GPU too, once I can get it working properly.

Still no luck on that front either. Apparently I'm not the only person having this issue with NVIDIA graphics cards since the 10.12.5 update. I might be the only person who had them with 10.12.4 too though.
Just another thought: Do you have another OS like Windows or Linux working without any problem using this Nvidia card? Using a Live Linux disc without installation on to the hard disk can easily give that answer if you like to try.
I am trying in my mind to isolate the problem to :
  • OS- related : a normal Linux or Windows will exonerate the next two possibilities below. But all 3 having problems may exonerate macOS Sierra 10.12.4 as the sole culprit.
  • Video Card -Related
  • MoBo-BIOS related to consider any benefit from a latest BIOS.
I will be watching your progress to resolution with interest.
Good luck.

Just another thought: Do you have another OS like Windows or Linux working without any problem using this Nvidia card?

Yes, it works fine in Windows. My problem isn't unique -- there are folks having the same issue over on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back