Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU
3.5GHZ i7-4770K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Hello to All!

I have an interesting question for everyone. I’ve built two Hackintoshes now. I’m fairly comfortable in troubleshooting and computer repair…not an expert, I just love it and I love helping friends with their Macs.

So a buddy of mine is going through a horrible divorce. His ex apparently got into his Apple account, changed the password and account information, then reported his 2014 iMac stolen. Apple has since locked his computer’s IMEI. He’s gone to Apple, but since it was purchased at Best Buy he has no proof of purchase and cannot locate the receipt. Long story short, without proof of purchase, Apple will not help him.

I’m wondering if there is anything I can do to help him? I tried booting with thumb drive, holding the “option” key down to get Startup Manager, but I get a lock screen asking for a password. His iMac doesn’t seem to respond to holding down the “C” button, to boot directly from the thumb drive. Safe Mode is locked. OSX recovery is locked.

Very little on this machine is user serviceable (that’s why I love my personal builds). Newer iMacs are notoriously difficult to get to the hard drive and other internals. What do you guys think? Should I just tell him to find the receipt? Contact his credit card company for assistance? As it is right now, he’s got a +$1400 paperweight.

I understand some of you may read this and be skeptical, but it’s an actual situation and I’m just trying to help a friend. That's why I’m seeking the help of the community I love.

Cheers!

-Ryan

Edit:
Okay, spoke with my friend...Apple locked the Serial Number, not the IMEI. Tried resetting the NVRAM with command+option+P+R...no luck, lock screen. UGHHH! And this is a sealed iMac, so no access to RAM in order to swap the RAM which effectively resets the NVRAM. I'm thinking I may have to order new ram and HD, then crack this iMac open...only, there's still no guaranty it will work. Anyone suggest anything different?

Last edited:
I didn't know this was even possible on a Mac and I didn't know Macs had IMEIs.

That's the info my friend gave me from Apple. It could be that they locked the serial number? I don't really know exactly...but it's locked down pretty well.

I'm currently looking into resetting the NVRAM and SMC, I'm just gonna fiddle around to see if anything changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back