Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Having read through troubleshooting tips installing El Capitan, I'm reading how it's not advisable on a dual boot system mixing UEFI and Legacy, things run smoother all one or the other. I'm new to Windows, built a PC with Windows 10, see that boot drive is Legacy, so what if any drawback is there installing Mac OS El Capitan using Legacy?

I've been able to see Clover and begin the El Capitan installer, which automatically reboots after progress bar runs about 1/3. In verbose mode I caught the last screen, 'IOPlatformPluginUtility: get CPUIDinfo: this is an unknown CPU model Ox3c', see attached. Is this issue related to the discrepancy between my Windows boot being Legacy and the installer being UEFI? Any work arounds or is the approach all wrong?

I've tried things like disabling the Nvidia drivers, VT_d disable, same behavior. Thanks for ideas.

I also read about it being most safe to disable automatic updates on the Windows side, yes? Is this basically about switching to a metered connection and when seeing a Windows update notification shutting down the computer and physically disconnecting the Mac OS boot drive during the update?

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 80
What guide did you use?... going at it from scratch is not necessary.

Search for the motherboard model number and look for anything that starts with the word "SUCCESS." Then start reading. Your MB is popular on these forums.

/Bob

Thank you, Bob_the_Tomato, for taking the time. I began with the simple route, or so I thought, following "UniBeast: Install OS X El Capitan on Any Supported Intel-based PC". and only when the installer bailed did I dig deeper. I'm currently on the road, can't recall which troubleshooting page I read from about it being best not to mix UEFI and Legacy formatted drives on Dual Boot systems, but I'm wondering if we're even on the same page. When you say to search for the motherboard model number and look for anything that says "SUCCESS", I'm thinking you're pointing to within the Log Notes, no? Maybe, you mean search within the guide I was reading from. Sorry to be dense about it:oops:.

I do appreciate your time. I'll not be behind the machine until Sunday, will implement any ideas you throw out in the meanwhile, thanks for tolerating my noobness. Thanks for a couple of explicit steps pointing me forward to resolve the "this is an unknown CPU model Ox3c'" message in the Log Notes.

Just now back in the saddle, thanks for the tip, but it seems I've taken a goodly step back, can't get into BIOS. I've tried through Settings, then shorting the jumpers to reset CMOS, then disconnecting all the hard drives and restarting, but BIOS has gone into serious hiding. I'm out of ideas. And If I restart F12 to reach my USB installer, I get the same response, power light on, screen black and sits there until I hit Esc and Enter, returning me to Windows 10.

I've also turned off Fast Start and set the Power Down functions to not sleep, but truly power down, though this wasn't an issue before. :banghead:

Thanks for ideas!

You'd think disconnecting all the drives would bring up BIOS, but still I got the black screen. After giving up, I simply put everything back and reconnected the PC to the network and KVM switch (reset it), and had a sneaky suspicion things might return to normal, restarted hitting Delete and now I'm back in BIOS, go figure.

Anyway, I'm unsure what exactly you intend me to do after disabling the Serial Ports. I have five SATA connections, each with SSD drives, only three being used and figured I'd use one of the remaining two as my Mac OS, the other for storage (Mac OS Extended Journaled). So, question is, if you intend me to disable all Serial Ports, I can see how that leaves my external USB installer in tact, but then no drive to install to. Thanks for clarifying. Also, will I need to install/update any particular drivers for anything, e.g. GTX 980 Ti? Also, does it pose a problem that my Windows startup drive is Legacy, when the Mac OS drive will be UEFI? Will I want to create a new startup in UEFI for Windows 10 to be on the same page with Mac OS?

Many thanks, people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back