Contribute
Register

Trouble getting any USB IR Receiver to work on Yosemite...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 7850 TF
Loving my Hackintosh build, but one thing I can't do without is the IR remote I currently use with my Macbook Pro.
I've plugged in an HP Media Center USB IR Receiver, and it's found it correctly in System Profiler but I can't get any response out of it, either from my Apple Remote or my Logitech Harmony remote. I've also tried a Manta TR-1 receiver that I have for another use but that doesn't seem to be picked up either.
I was trying them both with the 'Candleair' OSX drivers/preference pane but neither receiver shows up under Candleair. I've also tried the Remote Buddy software from the same company which pertains to be able to 'find' all models of USB IR Receiver, but still no luck.
Has anyone had any luck getting an IR receiver to work on their Hackintosh?

Loving my Hackintosh build, but one thing I can't do without is the IR remote I currently use with my Macbook Pro.
I've plugged in an HP Media Center USB IR Receiver, and it's found it correctly in System Profiler but I can't get any response out of it, either from my Apple Remote or my Logitech Harmony remote. I've also tried a Manta TR-1 receiver that I have for another use but that doesn't seem to be picked up either.
I was trying them both with the 'Candleair' OSX drivers/preference pane but neither receiver shows up under Candleair. I've also tried the Remote Buddy software from the same company which pertains to be able to 'find' all models of USB IR Receiver, but still no luck.
Has anyone had any luck getting an IR receiver to work on their Hackintosh?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/customization/8180-apple-ir-usb-header.html

Rules said:
Please use the search function before creating a new topic. The question that you ask may have already been answered

Oh I see, sorry.

So should I assume from this that only the official Macintosh USB IR receiver is compatible with OS X systems? Surely they'd make other standard USB IR solutions compatible, in case, say, your 'internal' IR receiver ever dies?

Oh I see, sorry.

So should I assume from this that only the official Macintosh USB IR receiver is compatible with OS X systems? Surely they'd make other standard USB IR solutions compatible, in case, say, your 'internal' IR receiver ever dies?

It's dangerous to assume anything where hackintoshes are concerned.
The method detailed in the guide is cheap, fully compatible and pretty easy to accomplish, I've done it twice.
There may or may not be other methods - Try the site Search tool and Google (or your preferred search engine).

Good Luck

Thanks; I have just been having a good search and there's lots of people talking about installing these Apple receivers, but no mention of why they're choosing these ones over a simple USB solution... Which is why I'm wondering if there's some arbitrary Apple style lockout incompatibility between other models of USB receiver.... Nobody seems to explicitly mention it, but it seems like it wants to work as it's detecting it as an IR receiver and even stating the make/model of USB attachment etc..

Thanks; I'm well aware of Twisted Melon and have one of their Manta TR-1 receivers as I said...

So are you suggesting that their receiver combined with this Mira software will work on a Hackintosh machine? Will it only work with the official Apple remote or will I be able to use my Harmony remote too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back