Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have an Intel HD3000 Integrated video card and a Nvidia GTX460.
Now I have two monitors running on the GTX but I also want the third one running on the Integrated one.
I have got It working on Windows so It could be possible.

On bootup the one hooked up to the Integrated one even shows the apple boot logo, but when It boots into OS X it stays that way.

The card gets detected by the system so...

Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 12.09.44.png

I'm considering running triple monitor between a GTX 580 and HD 3000 so I'm very interested in hearing if this is possible as well. Interesting that your HD 3000 shows up in the system report; mine doesn't, but I'm also running Lion and not Mountain Lion.

Out of curiosity, what motherboard are you using and do you have the BIOS display init set to Onboard or PCI-E? Here it's a Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 with init PCI-E display first.

I have an MSI H61M-E33 (B3),
And I turned the Integrated graphics on in the BIOS.
So the BIOS boots first on the Integrated graphics, when the OS loads it switches to the PCI-e graphics.

Amazing! This trick it worked; I set my Display Init First to Onboard and then booted with PCIRootUID=0 and that was it. I can now run dual-panel from the GTX and an extra one from the DVI or HDMI onboard.

Unfortunately the HD3000 isn't detected though... I'm stuck at 1024x768 with no acceleration but it does still output on the display. My device ID is 0x0112.

For reference, I tried a all combinations of PCIRootUID=0, =1, GraphicsEnabler=no, =yes and it never was detected. I also tried adding device ID 01128086 to the IntelHD3000 and SNB framebuffer kexts but that didn't help. SMBios doesn't seem to help much either, MacBookPro8,1 MacPro3,1 and MacMini5,1 all boot correctly but non get the HD3000 working along with the nVidia card.

I got it working with full resolution/acceleration on both cards! I'm testing to see if it works with Lion at the moment, but it definitely works with Mountain Lion.

For some reason or another, it looks like the cause of the HD 3000 driver problems is that in the i5-2500k graphics has device ID 0112 and the bootloader & OS drivers expect 0126. I tried adding 0x01128086 to the kexts but that didn't help; the only thing that ended up working was device ID injection via a DSDT modification.

So here are the steps to get it working (if PCIRootUID=0 doesn't work, try PCIRootUID=1):
  • In BIOS set Init Display First to PCIE and connect a monitor to your graphics card
  • Install Mountain Lion via UniBeast
  • Reboot using kernel arguments:
    Code:
    -v UseKernelCache=no
  • Run MultiBeast and install the appropriate drives for your setup. Install Chimera 0.11.1 and use SMBIOS for a MacBookPro8,1
  • In BIOS set Init Display First to Onboard and onboard memory size to >= 384MB
  • Boot Mountain Lion with the following command-line arguments:
    Code:
    -f -v GraphicsEnabler=yes UseKernelCache=no PCIRootUID=0
  • Open System Information (About This Mac) and note your HD 3000 device ID. If it is 0x0126, you don't need to do anything else!
  • Use DSDTSE to open your pre-edited DSDT .aml file and inject the device ID of 0x0126 for your Intel HD 3000. There are different tutorials on how to do this, but this post by rimmi2002 proved to be very useful, worked right away! Copy your newly compiled .aml file to /Extras/DSDT.aml.
That's it! Discrete graphics working in conjunction with the HD 3000 with full acceleration enabled on both cards. If you can boot to OS X successfully then you can edit /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and add PCIRootUID=0 to the kernel flags to avoid having to type it each boot.

Note: I did have a problem compiling the DSDT table initially; I don't know why but copy/pasting the code from the post text didn't work but copying it form his .dsl edit file did, even though those codes are identical. A hunch tells me it may have been something to do with the formatting / tabs vs spaces.

EPIC!!

I'm going to try it as soon I have the time xD

EDIT:
K did the non DTST method but does it only work for HDMI or DVI not VGA output?

HDMI and DVI should both be working, VGA may work depending on your board and luck... Apple hasn't included a VGA port on their hardware in ages so the drivers aren't really aware of it. I've had no problems running from either HDMI or DVI.

I flashed my Z68 board with Gigabyte's new EFI BIOS so I can't use the DSDT hack anymore (I'm now going DSDT-free too)... Both cards are still working, however because I can't inject the device ID I no longer have acceleration on the HD 3000, but that's not a huge deal for what I need to do.

I got a HD4000 working perfectly with a 9800gt by injecting the hd4000 into the org.chameleon.Boot.plist but can't find one for the hd3000 any suggestions.

I got a HD4000 working perfectly with a 9800gt by injecting the hd4000 into the org.chameleon.Boot.plist but can't find one for the hd3000 any suggestions.
There's no equivalent boot flag to inject a HD 3000 device ID in Chameleon, you'll need to patch your DSDT as per my instructions above.

Hey guys ... what if I use the UEFI bios (on a Z68MA-D2H-b3. i5-2500k, Gt430) I no longer have a DSDT.

This is what I get for the HD 3000

Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0112
Revision ID: 0x0009
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)