RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am set up to boot OS X Mountain Lion, Linux, and Windows 8. I have a FAT32 volume that I use to share files among the 3 OS’s.

Since installing Windows 8 (a ‘clean’ installation), Windows has been unable to see new changes (added, removed files) I’ve made to the FAT32 volume while in OS X. It only sees the disk as it was the last time I was in Windows. This can be corrected in Windows by initiating a scan/repair on the FAT32 shared volume. This is not something I want to be forced to do.

SOME DETAILS: OS X and Linux share a drive, while Windows 8 and the FAT32 volume are installed onto a second HDD (formatted MBR).

I never encountered this problem in Windows 7. The shared volume was always up-to-date when viewed in Windows without any intervention by me.

Does anyone have any ideas why Windows 8 is having problems reading the FAT32 partition correctly?

MORE DETAILS: Before installing Windows, I originally formatted and partitioned the Windows 8/FAT32 HDD using Gparted if that makes any difference.

I suspect this problem might be related to the Windows 8 Hybrid Boot/Fast Boot feature.

This is enabled by default and, from what I've read, puts the machine in a hibernate mode when you shut down. Doing this is supposed to result in a faster boot time.

But edits made to the D: drive (my FAT32 shared volume) using another OS (Mountain Lion) are not seen when waking from a hibernation mode since things are kept as they were during the previous Windows session.

I'm only speculating and have not yet tested this.

I don't have a solution, but if you need to disable hibernation, run a command prompt with admin privileges and type in this line:
powercfg -h off
Then hit enter. You won't see anything happen but it will turn off hibernation and delete the hiberfil.sys file in the root of your C: drive.
I don't know if it's been fixed yet, but I've always used this method to truly turn off hibernation. I think when done through the GUI, if the option exists, that is, it still runs in hibernation mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back