Contribute
Register

Triple Boot - Windows 10/Ubuntu/Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even order doesn't matter there... You simply have to plan your partition scheme correctly at the outset.

Oops, i meant partitioning.

Installing Windows UEFI will not affect Clover, although your BIOS may choose to boot Windows UEFI (bootmgfw.efi) instead. This is why we have to rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

Yes. But it is better if installed in a specific order to skip the hassle of restoring bootloader changes.

Yes. But it is better if installed in a specific order to skip the hassle of restoring bootloader changes.

I really don't think so. What's more important is understanding the final state (of bootloader configuration) you're trying to achieve.

I'm finally getting around to this build.

I followed RehabMan's instructions here to manually set the size of the EFI partition, or else I ended up with the "mediakit reports not enough space on device for requested operation" error. After that, I used the Windows installer to make a 150GB~ NTFS partition (for Windows), a 15GB NTFS partition (for Ubuntu, which was obviously formatted later), and the rest being another NTFS partition (for Yosemite).

Installing Windows went fine and there were no issues with booting it or using the Windows Boot Manager.

After installing Ubuntu (choosing the small partition and setting it to ext4), the Ubuntu bootloader came up one time and one time only. After that, only Windows would seem to boot, even after choosing the Ubuntu boot loader at startup. The same thing happened after multiple Ubuntu installs. I carrier on with the Yosemite install.

For Yosemite, I used this Clover guide. Everything seemed to work fine, including booting Yosemite without my USB drive. Neither Windows nor Ubuntu would boot (just a blinking cursor after selecting one of them from Clover). I think this might be because I followed the part in tonymacx86's guide where it suggested running the following command:
Code:
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1

One thing I didn't mention that might be worth noting is that, while formatting my Linux partition in the Ubuntu installer, it mentioned something about the partition table being modified. I don't know if that's why Ubuntu didn't want to load after being installed.

FWIW: Yosemite seems to be getting full graphics acceleration for the GeForce GT 740 (although system info reports 0MB, but animations are silky smooth). Ethernet and audio aren't working, but those should be straightforward.

I'll probably redo this entire thing tomorrow and slow things down a bit.

I'm finally getting around to this build.

I followed RehabMan's instructions here to manually set the size of the EFI partition, or else I ended up with the "mediakit reports not enough space on device for requested operation" error. After that, I used the Windows installer to make a 150GB~ NTFS partition (for Windows), a 15GB NTFS partition (for Ubuntu, which was obviously formatted later), and the rest being another NTFS partition (for Yosemite).

Installing Windows went fine and there were no issues with booting it or using the Windows Boot Manager.

After installing Ubuntu (choosing the small partition and setting it to ext4), the Ubuntu bootloader came up one time and one time only. After that, only Windows would seem to boot, even after choosing the Ubuntu boot loader at startup. The same thing happened after multiple Ubuntu installs. I carrier on with the Yosemite install.

For Yosemite, I used this Clover guide. Everything seemed to work fine, including booting Yosemite without my USB drive. Neither Windows nor Ubuntu would boot (just a blinking cursor after selecting one of them from Clover). I think this might be because I followed the part in tonymacx86's guide where it suggested running the following command:
Code:
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1

One thing I didn't mention that might be worth noting is that, while formatting my Linux partition in the Ubuntu installer, it mentioned something about the partition table being modified. I don't know if that's why Ubuntu didn't want to load after being installed.

FWIW: Yosemite seems to be getting full graphics acceleration for the GeForce GT 740 (although system info reports 0MB, but animations are silky smooth). Ethernet and audio aren't working, but those should be straightforward.

I'll probably redo this entire thing tomorrow and slow things down a bit.

The reason Windows will not boot is because the terminal command you did formatted the EFI partition, and deleted the Windows boot files. Suggest you boot UniBeast installer, format the drive GUID partition tables, format the partitions for Mac OS X, then close disk utility and open terminal and run the command line to format the EFI partition and exit the UniBeast installer. Reboot with the Windows install media, reformat the Windows partition NTFS and install Windows. Then proceed to install Linux and Yosemite.

The reason Windows will not boot is because the terminal command you did formatted the EFI partition, and deleted the Windows boot files. Suggest you boot UniBeast installer, format the drive GUID partition tables, format the partitions for Mac OS X, then close disk utility and open terminal and run the command line to format the EFI partition and exit the UniBeast installer. Reboot with the Windows install media, reformat the Windows partition NTFS and install Windows. Then proceed to install Linux and Yosemite.

So I should try using Disk Utility to make all my partitions at the start as opposed to Command Prompt + Windows installer like I did?

Would it also be better to use Chimera instead of Clover? I mainly like how Clover can better handle iMessage & FaceTime issues post-install.

So I should try using Disk Utility to make all my partitions at the start as opposed to Command Prompt + Windows installer like I did?

Would it also be better to use Chimera instead of Clover? I mainly like how Clover can better handle iMessage & FaceTime issues post-install.
Use Disk utility to create the partitions, then the Windows installer to format the partition you want to install it on NTFS.

No to Chimera if you are going to install Windows on a GPT+ formatted HDD/SSD. Chimera will not be able to see the Windows boot files - use Clover instead.

nguyenmac and rehabman have both done excellent guides for dual booting over in the laptop forum. Just follow the procedure and ignore the additional steps necessary to get a laptop working if you are installing on desktop hardware.

I still recommend you use separate SSD for OS X and Windows if at all possible. It will save you from :banghead::banghead: when it comes time to update/upgrade to next OS version.

So I think I'm really close.

Basically, I started everything over, doing it all just like before, except for a few minor differences. One difference is that I made the EFI partition 250MB (just because I liked that number better than 200 :)). The other difference is that, during the Ubuntu installation, I chose the main Ubuntu ext4 partition as the bootloader path.

Right now, Windows and Linux are bootable just fine. Yosemite? Clover is nowhere to be found, even though all of the files for it are right there on the EFI partition. I can still boot my Yosemite partition with my Clover USB drive perfectly, though.

Like my other installation setups, the BIOS is only seeing Windows Boot Manager and two Ubuntu options (both of which do go into the default GRUB bootloader).

Here's a photo of Clover running off of my USB drive. All partition are being detected (as expected). The image without an OS icon is the Yosemite installer off of the same USB drive. You can see that it properly detects Windows 10, Ubuntu 14.10, Yosemite, and the Yosemite recovery partition. All 4 of those boot just fine when selected from Clover.

2Ltyg4L.jpg

Yesterday when only the installed copy of Clover was working, it was actually listed as "clover" in my BIOS's boot list.

Again, it's now just a matter of getting Clover working properly off of my SSD rather than my USB drive.

Someone on InsanelyMac mentioned using EasyUEFI to manually add a boot entry for Clover, which did the trick! Here's what I made Clover look like
2F3FKMX.png

The second/last Windows icon, I just couldn't get hide no matter what I tried. Here's what that looks like when I press space:
IT88eFM.png

Then here are the other three options when space is pressed:
i1V57A1.png

0xYAcgW.png

MD0quZO.png

I'm not bothered about the last one, so I'd call this build 100% complete and compatible. Windows 10 obviously works perfectly, and everything works in Ubuntu without looking for any additional drivers. Yosemite just needed the following options in MultiBeast to get some of the other things going:
bc6dyGD.png

Actually, sleep doesn't work, but I'll let that one slide :).

Hey, my friend, I figured out how to do it.! Go into your BIOS, under PERIPHERALS, Look under Boot Order Priority, Disable all Boot options...except OPTION # 1. Now save (Usually F-10 key.) and exit. Reboot and
sing halleluja! Clover should now work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back