1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a Gigabyte GA Z97MX gaming 5 I just rebuilt in a new case. It has currently 1809 Win 10 Pro, on a Samsung 850 Pro inside of an Enermax dual SSD hot-swap enclosure. The Mojave install is on a Samsung NVME M.2 inside of an Aquacomputer Kryro M.2 PCIE adapter. The Old Sierra install is on the other Samsung 850 Pro inside the hot swap, will be the Ubuntu 18.10 install. I am using most current Clover for the Mojave and Windows and they are working flawlessly. I have a Ubuntu 18.10 flash installer that boots and I used Rufus to make the install using UEFI and GPT. My question is the formatting and installing of Grub to the Ubuntu drive which is now GPT HFS+.
Should I use the Ubuntu installer be run from the desktop or Gparted or both in a particular order?
What is the exact procedure for formatting? (the 18.10 Ubuntu screens are different now from what has been posted previously)
Is the formatting supposed to be EXT3?
It should be Normal installation with Install 3rd party Kext checked?
Installation Type should be: "Something else" as it finds no previous OS's, even though there is a Sierra install on the SSD in the Hotswap and Mojave 10.14.3 on the NVME drive? (Not "Erase Disk" and "install Ubuntu" as it may bork my NVME Mojave install drive I do not want to touch!?)
If the Sierra drive is HFS+ GPT now will the proper partition scheme be installed if you double click the highlighted HFS+ partition and change to Ext3 journalling? or, must the drive be formatted with Gparted first and then the installer started? (EXT3 journalling formatting)
Is the bootloader install location the same drive (partition) as the UbubutuOS install?
Is there something that must be set in Cover using the Clover Configurator to allow Clover to see Grub?
Step by Step would be helpful. The Stickky's need to be updated.

See the pinned guide for UEFI booting on separate drives at the beginning of this forum.

Did! and as I said the install screens are newer and do NOT reflect what is in the Sticky!!! Further, the wording is different on the Ubuntu 18.10 install screens and is confusing. This is why I asked for a Step by Step with the latest Ubuntu and Clover which is not the one in the current Multibeast and using Mojave 10.14.3.
See the pinned guide for UEFI booting on separate drives at the beginning of this forum.

Did! and as I said the install screens are newer and do NOT reflect what is in the Sticky!!! Further, the wording is different on the Ubuntu 18.10 install screens and is confusing. This is why I asked for a Step by Step with the latest Ubuntu and Clover which is not the one in the current Multibeast and using Mojave 10.14.3.
OK, to double check the procedure, I booted up my Ubuntu 1804 LTS, downloaded the 18.10 iso, created a USB installer with Startup Disk Creator (from the search in the upper left corner is easiest way to find) which is included in Ubuntu.
I then rebooted to Windows, opened a command window and cleaned/convert to GPT one of my spare HDDs that had a Beta install of Mountain Lion on it . I then rebooted to UEFI and made sure CSM (Compatibility Support Module) was Disabled, save & exit / continue boot, F8 to select boot device, select the USB and install. I selected standard install and update during installation and continue. When the installation completed I remove the USB and rebooted, again F8 to select the Ubuntu drive to make sure it booted OK on its own. Yep, no problem.
Rebooted again and no Linux drive showed in Clover. Booted to Mac OS and mounted the EFI for the Mac drive, checked config.plist - Under GUI, Scan Linux needed to be changed from no to yes. Made the change and rebooted. This time I get a Ubuntu icon labeled Boot Ubuntu EFI boot menu from EFI. Selected this icon and Ubuntu loaded right up.

These latest versions of Ubuntu assume UEFI boards instead of Legacy, so they do not need any special handling in the installation with a board like yours. As long as you are installing on separate drives, just accept the defaults if that is OK with you since you have a UEFI board. I still recommend you disconnect all other drives or disable the port in the UEFI for them if you prefer not to disconnect, especially since the only way to disconnect a M.2 drive is to remove it - a sometimes lengthy and tedious procedure if you have to take the GPU out to get to it.

EDIT: BTW, just out of curiosity, I moved the 18.10 drive from the Z77 to my old X58A build and tried to boot it - did not work: I got operating system not found error. Put my Mojave drive back in and booted it: the Ubuntu icon was there in the Clover screen, so I selected it. It booted right to desktop. Learning from this: Ubuntu installed UEFI will not boot directly from HDD on Legacy system, but will boot with Clover boot loader as intermediary between EFI and Legacy.

Last edited:
Thank you. As usual, GB comes through with a layman's treatise on "How To". This is what I love to see. Not a Professor's syllabus with half the steps missing. Bravo!!! Just because you have the Knowlege doesn't' always mean you know how to teach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back