Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU
i7-4960X
Graphics
GTX 970 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm looking to triple boot on my system. It's going to be a music production machine and for day to day use.

My plan is to install 3 OSs on 3 separate hard drives. They are going to be:

OSX Mountain Lion on a 750GB SSD Hybrid Drive (for Logic us)
Windows 7 on a 240GB SSD (for Cubase 7 use)
Windows 8 on a 1TB SATAIII Drive (for day to day and general use)

What's the best way for me to install these? And in what order?

I'm looking to triple boot on my system. It's going to be a music production machine and for day to day use.

My plan is to install 3 OSs on 3 separate hard drives. They are going to be:

OSX Mountain Lion on a 750GB SSD Hybrid Drive (for Logic us)
Windows 7 on a 240GB SSD (for Cubase 7 use)
Windows 8 on a 1TB SATAIII Drive (for day to day and general use)

What's the best way for me to install these? And in what order?

You should read my multi-boot guide at my blog (link in signature). There are a few little tweaks that must be done for Win7/Win8 combo...

Cheers for this. However, not sure if its the same. My board has a UEFI BIOS and I'd be installing the 3 operating systems on 3 separate hard drives.

If you install each with the unrelated drives disconnected, it will save you some time in terms of editing BCD files with BCDEDIT.

UEFI doesn't matter unless you're planning to use Clover as your boot loader. If you using Chimera/Chameleon, you'll be installing Windows in legacy mode (non-UEFI)

Does it matter what order I install the 3 systems on the 3 separate drives?

Also, anything I need to do at boot then apart from using BIOS to select drive boot order?

And, lastly, how do I know if I'm installing Windows in legacy mode?

Cheers

Does it matter what order I install the 3 systems on the 3 separate drives?

No, not really.

Also, anything I need to do at boot then apart from using BIOS to select drive boot order?

Not sure what you mean "do at boot." What you do at boot depends on which boot loader you install. What you do in BIOS setup for boot devices is what matters. eg... selecting the drive you have Chimera installed on.

And, lastly, how do I know if I'm installing Windows in legacy mode?

One way is to disable UEFI boot in BIOS. Then you know legacy is the only possibility. Otherwise it depends on your BIOS. Refer to your BIOS manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back