i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I noticed the other day that TRIM wasn't enabled on my SSD, so I installed TRIM Support with MB 5.0.2 and that seemed to get it working. However, when I checked on it later, TRIM had been disabled, and reinstalling with MB doesn't seem to do the trick anymore.

I think maybe the 10.8.1 update broke it. Is there any fix out there?

My specs:
GA-Z77-DS3H
i7 3770
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
Radeon HD 6870

Hey guys,

I noticed the other day that TRIM wasn't enabled on my SSD, so I installed TRIM Support with MB 5.0.2 and that seemed to get it working. However, when I checked on it later, TRIM had been disabled, and reinstalling with MB doesn't seem to do the trick anymore.

I think maybe the 10.8.1 update broke it. Is there any fix out there?

My specs:
GA-Z77-DS3H
i7 3770
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
Radeon HD 6870

I think ML 10.8.1 broke it. Use this.

In terminal type:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x4D)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

Reference here.
http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

I'm just about ready to switch to a SSD for my boot drive. How did you know TRIM was disabled? Is there a preference pane for it or something?

Look under About this mac, more info or system report.

Look under sata and you'll see your drive, it will say TRIM - (Yes, No)

I'm still checking on this, but I believe some drives do their own garbage collection and do not need TRIM anyway. That might be something to consider when picking up a new SSD.

OK thanks. I bought a SanDisk Extreme 120 GB the other day when they were only $79. I'm putting it in this afternoon and then will upgrade to 10.8.1 and see what happens.

I'm just about ready to switch to a SSD for my boot drive. How did you know TRIM was disabled? Is there a preference pane for it or something?

See attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-24 at 3.02.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-24 at 3.02.18 PM.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 552
OK thanks for the help.

So I've switched out my 1 TB Western Digital drive with a SanDisk Extreme SSD after cloning the 1 TB drive to the SSD. Am I supposed to run Multibeast's TRIM enabler at any point? In other words, can I go ahead and run the terminal script given here right away, or do I need to run Multibeast first, then reboot and run the script?

Edit: Never mind, I just ran the script and everything is working. Thanks!

Awesome, thank you. This won't bust when I repair permissions, will it?

Any excuse to use the Terminal is fine by me. ;) Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back