Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I read a few weeks ago that TRIM is automatically enabled when installing Catalina. But it doesn't appear to be the case.
Update: I read about TRIM again and some suggest that the APFS is designed to work optimally with an SSD. So enabling TRIM isn't necessary in Catalina.
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 10.17.56 AM.png

Last edited:
Update: I read about TRIM again and some suggest that the APFS is designed to work optimally with an SSD. So enabling TRIM isn't necessary in Catalina.

Are you referring to this thread? https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/330430-high-sierra-slow-booting-with-trim-enabled/
If so, read what user chriz74 said further down. It makes complete sense to me.

I enabled TRIM by this method: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...working-in-catalina-beta.280517/#post-2012398. My SSD is much faster now.

sudo trimforce enable

Just double checking... On Catalina 10.15.5, for M2 drives in the System Profiler it would be under NVMExpress right?

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 5.02.53 PM.png

I just installed a 2nd M2 drive and wanted to know, they both show as TRIM Support: yes. So Trim is already on?

Confused because when I Get Info on one of those drives, under Available it has the amount followed by in parentheses (3.7GB purgeable).

Last edited:
Correct on both counts, Trim is usually supported in Catalina and under NVMexpress.

Reactions: JBX
Thanks craighazan.

When I rebooted, I rechecked the Get Info and the purgeable amount for the drive mentioned above was now 4.5MB. Good to know it works.

Thanks craighazan.

When I rebooted, I rechecked the Get Info and the purgeable amount for the drive mentioned above was now 4.5MB. Good to know it works.
Purgeable amount is 21GB on my SSD, Trim is enabled too. Is there something wrong with high purgeable amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back