Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I've found this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1125400 today and there's a proggy which enables TRIM support on every SSD

Here is the download http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12261070&postcount=20.

I've installed it on my MBP mid 2010 and my OWC Mercury Extreme Pro (non-original Apple SSD) shows the TRIM support. I don't know if it works because this SSD has the Sandforce controller.
Hope my Win7 installation (for dual boot) is soon over that I can test on my Hackintosh as well.

Huberer

Saw this earlier today- will have to check it out for sure- looks great for SSD owners. :thumbup:

Dear Huberer, you were probably reading my mind. Thank you for your hard work and your findings, alongside everyone else involved in searching and patching. I manually installed the v2.0.5 IOAHCIFamily.kext that includes the plugin IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext (the binary with the zeros) and upon reboot, it worked on my MacBookPro3,1 and my Intel X25-M (80GB)!

It also worked on my hackintosh (set as iMac11,1) and the OCZ Vertex-2 (90GB)!

Perhaps 10.6.8 won't differentiate the drivers between models and bring TRIM to everyone with "APPLE SSD" whilst we sit and watch... or patch :D

Thanks again to everyone. Excellent news. If you wonder whether TRIM works or not, read http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ further down:

...IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext is not something simple. This driver (Input Output Advanced Host Controller Interface Block Storage) manages all IO for SATA Storage Devices, ie. NCQ, R/W operations, TRIM, etc.. How OS checks that TRIM is supported and works in drive? As you can see in my last message - we tested a group of disks, the ones which support TRIM natively and those which produced early that lacked TRIM support. Those disk that supported it, OS recognized. Those which lacked it OS shows "TRIM Support: No" without exception. To check - IOAHCI after detecting that this is not "rotational" disk (reports no spinning speed), it sends the TRIM commands "BuildATATrimCommand" (found inside IOAHCIBlockStoorage) to the SSD. If SSD executes this, on specific address of clusters after trimming will be zeroes like if we had a secure format with zeroes, then IOAHCI reports that command executed, and SSD supports TRIMming. If the command was ignored and not executed, OS reports that this SSD doesn't support TRIM. This command is not a process which can be monitored by Activity Monitor. It is just a command to SSD's controller which will do this work fully automatically without OS intrusion. This is the algorithm to understand "how os checks that TRIM is supported and executed".

Another proof. First what we noted is reverting performance via synthetic test back to original. Another - is using "hdparm" method. Booted in linux, mount SSD with HFS, creates small file in specific place and saves the info about address of sectors that contains that file. In linux TRIM is turned off for HFS. Boot to OS X and delete this file. Back to linux - check the address - and we see only zeros. TRIM is working.
(In theory any SSD that supports TRIM should work but he later wrote with results of more testing)

Some more information about activated TRIM tests with other SSDs. These models tested and TRIM verified working:

- Kingston V+ SSDNow Series
- Intel X25-S/M 2nd Gen Series
- Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue Series
- OCZ Agility 2 Series
- OCZ Vertex Series

-Viktor D.

Attachments

• MacBookPro3,1.png
    MacBookPro3,1.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 222
Moved to correct forum, General Tuning.

Status