Contribute
Register

Tried to Update to macOS 10.13.3 Supplemental from 10.12.6 Without Success - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Tried to update from 10.12.6. After downloading the update, and agreeing to license etc... it asks to reboot. On reboot it would show a circle with a line thru it. So I installed the Fakesmc kext from the "other" folder and now I get a kernel panic which goes into an endless reboot loop into kernel panic. What went wrong and how do I fix? Is there a way to delete the fakesmc kext via shell?

I can boot into 10.12.6 by using flag "-v". But Still get the circle with line thru circle when update initially restarts system. Suggestions?

Tried to update from 10.12.6. After downloading the update, and agreeing to license etc... it asks to reboot. On reboot it would show a circle with a line thru it. So I installed the Fakesmc kext from the "other" folder and now I get a kernel panic which goes into an endless reboot loop into kernel panic. What went wrong and how do I fix? Is there a way to delete the fakesmc kext via shell?

Your putting the one kext, FakeSMC, anywhere shouldn't cause a problem. Your setup is very similar to mine. Please see my posts here, #265 and #270. Please follow this very useful guide, which made a real difference for me, especially about the kernel panic/continuous rebooting problem:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-black-screen-panics.234390/#post-1603620
Otherwise, the best practice is to make a clone of your main drive before you update, which allows you to not only recover quickly but also to boot from the clone to do something like remove kexts from your main drive.

Ironwood,

your guide is for after installing 10.13 which won't install on my system yet for some reason.

update:

I downloaded Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext from the kext download section on this site. I placed them on the desktop and installed using kextbeast. I can now boot without using any flags back into 10.12.6. I retried to install 10.13.3 using the install APP on the launchpad and on initial reboot, I still get a white circle with line thru it instead of the apple logo.

ideas?

I downloaded Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext from the kext download section on this site. I placed them on the desktop and installed using kextbeast. I can now boot without using any flags back into 10.12.6. I retried to install 10.13.3 using the install APP on the launchpad and on initial reboot, I still get a white circle with line thru it instead of the apple logo.

ideas?
Imannyr, I suggest you follow ILikeHackintosh's guide exactly. Without this guide I would not have gotten past the point where you are now: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-black-screen-panics.234390/#post-1603620

Moving to High Sierra was very hard for me, so for anyone with a Z87 or Z97 motherboard who is trying to do this with difficulty, I am posting my notes, apologizing for length:

I added “Dart=0” (re RehabMan, which negates the VT-d that seems to be enabled by default in the UEFI) into Clover plist. Then I tried four different USB-drive installer setups, finally settling on RehabMan’s installation [MAKE NEW INSTALLER!]: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

With RehabMan’s fork of Clover and the High Sierra installer, I added my previous EFI file. I added additional kexts (for black screen, probably) and used his HFSPlus.efi, and have only the “Other” folder in kexts. [USE NEWEST KEXTS!]

But it was not until I added “MATS” in Clover Configurator’s ACPI Drop Tables (because of my Z87/Z97 board) that I could finally use the USB installer to actually install High Sierra: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/page-60
referred to this source, see the top of this page: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/kernel-panic-on-high-sierra-installation.233227/page-2 so that I was able to get past a kernel panic, showing a frozen white apple, as I tried to install. This is added into Clover plist:
<key>DropTables</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Signature</key>
<string>MATS</string>
</dict>
</array>

Additionally, I had NOT been able to install from the boot SSD as an upgrade either, probably for the same reason.
[The kernel panic results from an invalid character in the MATS table in the system UEFI with Z87/ Z97 boards, as detailed by Moheban79 here (#7): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-in-clover-configurator-to-drop-mats.226488/ and worked out in Pikeralpha et. al. discussion, ”Chameleon and High Sierra…” for a solution re Z87/ Z97 boards and High Sierra: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/06/11/chameleon-and-high-sierra/ ]

However, because I definitely wanted to stay with HFS+ and not convert to APFS yet, I started the installation from the Install High Sierra app on the SSD partition, just to see if it would work now, and it did.

After the install, I could not boot into the High Sierra desktop—every attempt would go into a reboot before the login screen. Then I found and followed this brilliant guide from top to bottom:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-black-screen-panics.234390/#post-1603620 The numbered list below is derived from ILikeHackintosh’s instructions.

1) Removed NVDAStartupWeb.kext as directed, but did so by finding/removing from my other bootable SSD. Now I was able to reach the desktop!
2) I had none of the three mentioned kexts to remove.
3) Added EmuVariableUefi.efi into /EFI/CLOVER/Drivers64UEFI.
4) Downloaded and installed the new NVIDIA Web Drivers fix kexts and then rebooted afterward:
  • Lilu.kext (>=1.20) [NOW AT LEAST 1.2.2]
  • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext (>=1.20) (requires Lilu.kext) [NOW AT LEAST 1.2.2]
  • Do not use NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext with them.
(See Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition if you use those definitions.)

5) Enabled SIP by editing Clover configuration file, set SIP-related setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x00. Rebooted. Then before installing the web driver, I disabled SIP again by setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 as before.
6) Installed the latest NVIDIA web driver: (17A405) 378.10.10.10.15.120 [USE AT LEAST THE 25.104 WEB DRIVER]
7) NOW I was able to properly boot with the Nvidia graphics.

Because of this amazing post, #53, by Antilogical:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...high-sierra-black-screen-panics.234390/page-6
I switched “Other OS” to “Windows 8” and this opened up the CSM Support option for the first time, and I turned this to “Never.” That was it! I finally fixed the monitor blackout, forcing a turn off-and-on of the monitor [DISPLAYPORT]. Now the Clover boot loader and the entire boot up process are in full resolution, and startup takes far less time than before!

F0AD8774-239B-4506-8846-8E6AA480EEDC.jpeg

Imannyr, it looks like you have an issue with OsxAptioFix2Drv. You used the 64-bit version OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, right?

Your EFI/Clover shouldn't be that much different from what you used in 10.12.6, except for what ILikeHackintosh says. Check what's in your EFI folder. In the Clover folder, make sure all kexts and even the drivers are the latest ones--go to the trouble to track them down (Google them). I suggest you make a new flash drive installer using the RehabMan method I mentioned--using the latest version of Clover.

Make sure you don't have your OLD added kexts in your disk EFI or your disk's L/E or S/L/E folders. Use Clover Configurator to look at your Clover plist. You can use CC to mount your EFIs. In macOS just drop the Clover plist icon onto the Clover Configurator icon in the dock. Look around and make sense of it.

Why not try booting from the new installer flash drive you just made? Just before/during start of Gigabyte splash screen, hit F12 several times, as you probably know. Choose the UEFI version of your flash drive, then in Clover bootloader move down to your drive. Now you will be booting with Clover through your flash drive, regardless of what you've added to your disk files. It's a good way to troubleshoot, and when you've got it right you can copy that EFI file to your disk EFI.

If you have a spare drive, use a new installer made with UniBeast [newest!] and do a clean install of 10.13.3 Supp, and then use MultiBeast [newest!] as directed: Not to replace your 10.12.6, but to see if you can get a bootable partition. Hopefully that will show you what your basics are. I had to do that to get into Sierra before, and I had to learn a lot.

Maybe you can put up your Clover file or at least your plist for someone more knowledgeable to look. Here are pics of my kext and drivers64UEFI folders. Good luck!

Attachments

• drivers64UEFI.png
    drivers64UEFI.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 105
  • kexts.png
    kexts.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Imannyr, it looks like you have an issue with OsxAptioFix2Drv. You used the 64-bit version OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, right?

Your EFI/Clover shouldn't be that much different from what you used in 10.12.6, except for what ILikeHackintosh says. Check what's in your EFI folder. In the Clover folder, make sure all kexts and even the drivers are the latest ones--go to the trouble to track them down (Google them). I suggest you make a new flash drive installer using the RehabMan method I mentioned--using the latest version of Clover.

Make sure you don't have your OLD added kexts in your disk EFI or your disk's L/E or S/L/E folders. Use Clover Configurator to look at your Clover plist. You can use CC to mount your EFIs. In macOS just drop the Clover plist icon onto the Clover Configurator icon in the dock. Look around and make sense of it.

Why not try booting from the new installer flash drive you just made? Just before/during start of Gigabyte splash screen, hit F12 several times, as you probably know. Choose the UEFI version of your flash drive, then in Clover bootloader move down to your drive. Now you will be booting with Clover through your flash drive, regardless of what you've added to your disk files. It's a good way to troubleshoot, and when you've got it right you can copy that EFI file to your disk EFI.

If you have a spare drive, use a new installer made with UniBeast [newest!] and do a clean install of 10.13.3 Supp, and then use MultiBeast [newest!] as directed: Not to replace your 10.12.6, but to see if you can get a bootable partition. Hopefully that will show you what your basics are. I had to do that to get into Sierra before, and I had to learn a lot.

Maybe you can put up your Clover file or at least your plist for someone more knowledgeable to look. Here are pics of my kext and drivers64UEFI folders. Good luck!

ironwood,

The "ilikehackintosh" guide is based on AFTER installing High Sierra. I can't get high sierra installed. So that guide does not apply to me.

I'm now able to get back into 10.12.6 again without any issue or boot flags etc... I deleted FakeSMC form Kexts/other.

I deleted the old high sierra update in case it was an issue. Went into app store and hit the upgrade to high sierra button where it began to redownload the update. After download was complete, I clicked install and it reboots the computer as usual. when it hits the apple logo at boot it's not an apple logo its a circle with a line thru it like as if the update can't continue. then reboots computer again then into 10.12.6 High sierra DOES NOT install. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back