Contribute
Register

Tried fixing messages and now my OS won’t boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Well it's hard to tell what modifications you made that crashed the system, so from this side what I would do is boot using your UniBeast stick - if you still have it for El Capitan.

Once you have booted to the desktop (with unaccelerated graphics at this point) mount the EFI partition, copy the EFI/CLOVER folder to somewhere safe as a backup, then copy the one from the UniBeast stick over to your SSD/HDD.

That should get you booting safely. Once there you can check you have the correct version of the Nvidia web-drivers installed.

Important: If you have your original config.plist somewhere (from your original system) keep it handy so you can re-use the serial number.
This helps to avoid Apple locking your ID if they see too many unusual serial-number changes etc. Changing the System Definition usually creates a new one. By default the UniBeast serial will probably have the word "HACK" embedded in it somewhere, so you can re-use your original number as mentioned above.

Once back up and running you should check out the "An iDiot's Guide to iMessage" tutorial to populate all the other relevant UUIDs and get iMessage working :thumbup:

As for the screenshot you posted... Let's see how the above helps (or not) and then go forward...

Report back.
:)

Can I follow this video here to create a new UniBeast stick?

Also will I just be able to directly upgrade to Sierra directly via safe mode? And will upgrading fix my problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I follow this video here to create a new UniBeast stick?

Also will I just be able to directly upgrade to Sierra directly via safe mode? And will upgrading fix my problem?

Hi there.

To create a UniBeast stick you just need the El Capitan installer which should still be in your "Purchased" items on the App Store. Use the guide here on Tonymacx86 to get it done. It really sets things out correctly for you. I find video guides too distracting because if something goes wrong you don't get to explore the options available.o_O

You can upgrade to Sierra two ways - either download the installer from the App Store and run it, or create another UniBeast stick with it and do a new full install.

There is no need to worry about Safe Mode because using UniBeast bypasses any boot problems you've had previously.

From what you've told us about the components in your build, there is nothing unusual that should cause you the problems you've suffered from. Make sure you have the appropriate Nvidia drivers ready to install.

It's difficult to know what went wrong before ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back