hd3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

For all those that think that glass should be transparent and not matte, I have the following Dock mod. It looks a bit more like the Leopard/Lion Dock. It does not however reflect, rather you look through it. To activate it, type the following two commands in a terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock hide-mirror -bool yes
killall Dock
I have not seen this mod mentioned anywhere else. I found it by looking in the Dock binary. There are a lot more strings with meaningful names like "mirror-reflection-opacity", but I have not found any other string that seems to do anything. Have fun! Oh yeah, if you want to deactivate:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock hide-mirror -bool no
killall Dock

Thanks for sharing this, looks nice.

Post your before and after shots of the transparent dock :)

dock.jpg
dock-2.jpg

What dock is your "before" TonymacX86? The "before" looks like its been changed, its got a soft rounded corner to it.. Looks pretty sweet!

Ah- didn't realize it'd be different- it's a screengrab from my MBP- I guess the retina bit renders differently in the mode it's currently in.

i am using mountain lion 10.8 and i did not updated since then. this commands are not working for me. before and after are same.

i am using mountain lion 10.8 and i did not updated since then. this commands are not working for me. before and after are same.
I can't imagine that the version of Mountain Lion has anything to do with whether this trick works or not.

Post your before and after shots of the transparent dock :)
Here are before and after screenshots of my dock. Notice the window that is behind the dock. The difference is subtle, but visible :)

Your after screenshot looks like you have no dock at all!

48025d1361987608-transparent-dock-mountain-lion-before.png

48026d1361987617-transparent-dock-mountain-lion-after.png

Attachments

• Before.png
    Before.png
    188.1 KB · Views: 7,796
  • After.png
    After.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 7,683
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.