Contribute
Register

transferring hackintosh guts into MacPro case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel
CPU
3.38 GHz Intel 98x
Graphics
GTX 470
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
not sure where I should post this so feel free to move but I just had a question:

I was hoping to get some info on transferring my Hackintosh Mac Pro into a Mac Pro case.

I am currently running this exact build and it is running flawlessly:

Genuine Apple OsX 10.6.4 & Windows 7 Home 64bit OEM DVD and License for Dual Boot System

- Intel i7-980X 3.33GHz 6Core CPU (19.98GHz total power) 1366MHz Bus

- Gigabyte Motherboard GA-X58A-UD7 Revision 2 Bios FA

- Corsair Hydro H70 Liquid Cooling System allowing 4.0 to 4.4GHz per processor (26.4GHz) Over Clocked

- 12GB High Speed tripple channel DDR3 RAM running at 2000MHz (3 x 4GB)

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 470 Fermi 1280MB 320bit GDDR5 Memory 448 Core – DVI x 2 & 1 mini HDMI

- 1 x 600GB Western Digital VelciRaptor 10,000RPM SATA6 with OsX and apps installed

- 4 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT SATA6 7,200RPM 64MB Cache Hard Drive - 2 of which are in a RAID array – 1 for Win7 Dual Boot

- Samsung SATA CD/DVD Burner with Light scribe

- LG Blu-ray reader/burner with Light scribe

- AeroCool Touch 2000 Controller Panel

- CoolerMaster Case 692 II Advanced / OCZ Power Supply 700W / AirPort WiFi / 2 x Gigabit Ethernet / 10 x USB / 6 x eSATA / 10 x SATA / 1 x FireWire 400 / 3 x PCIx16 2.o / 1 x PCIx1 / 1 x PCI / 6 x DDR3 Slots / 6 x 3.5? Internal Bays / 4 x 5.25? Media Bays / Power over USB & FireWire SIIG Add-On card for 2 x FW800 & 1 x FW400

-Complete fan replacement using low noise, high rpm, blue LED case fans

So my question is, how would I go about transferring this setup into a Mac Pro case, ie. what parts would I need to order. I would imagine the mac branded power supply/fans/optical drives/and corresponding internal cases would be required.

Is this doable?

Thanks,
-grant

GC2,

Eelhead's build is a G5 case if your going with a G5 then his is really good to follow. If your building in a newer Mac Pro case (2008 or newer, the one with 2 optical drives) then I suggest you look at Mooner's Thread.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=23285&start=0

I have one of each of the cases and decided to go with the 2008 Mac Pro. Now I'm just waiting on the rest of the parts to arrive.

Something to think about, when I was looking through everyone's builds, if your using a full size ATX board then the G5 is easier. If you can use a MATX then the 2008 Mac Pro is a very clean build. I've seen a couple full ATX in the 2008 cases but they take more mods to the case.

great! thank you so much for all the info!

unfortunately I think all this modding may be a bit out of my comfort level for how much I know about computer hardware and custom building. I can do basic stuff but I feel like I would just run into way too many problems.

with that said, any idea who would do this sort of thing for a small fee?? say i gave them all my computer guts and they put it in a modded case - does a human like that exist?!

grantcooper2 said:
great! thank you so much for all the info!

unfortunately I think all this modding may be a bit out of my comfort level for how much I know about computer hardware and custom building. I can do basic stuff but I feel like I would just run into way too many problems.

with that said, any idea who would do this sort of thing for a small fee?? say i gave them all my computer guts and they put it in a modded case - does a human like that exist?!

Actually, I think it can be as easy as you want. Take a look at the recent thread in customisation mention a mod with "no JB weld". Very neat, very simple inside a Power Mac G5 case. Even your cuts do not need to be accurate for that as you use a pre-made motherboard tray from "Mountain Mod.s".

Good luck!

hmm! perhaps you are right - I suppose as long as I keep my old case and really trace my steps, it wouldn't be so hard to revert back.

I am mostly concerned about fitting everything inside - obviously I will have to cut down on a few things. Like the fan controller I have, and one of my harddrives (I will build a nice big RAID external). maybe even the liquid cooling I have...

This is what she looks like right now (**** poor photos though!):

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back