Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 7590
CPU
i9-9980HK
Graphics
UHD 630
Hello

First I want to thanks the community for making all this possible.
I am a new Hackintosher and have managed to install Catalina on a XPS 7590 i9 quite easily using the work the community made available (LuletterSoul).

I have an issue I’d like to get help with:

While typing on the laptop’s keyboard, the cursor becomes laggy, it blocks. It does not move smoothly, I tend to use the trackpad while typing

To sum up every time I press a key (other than fn or shift) the mouse freezes

What I have tried

Plugging an external Official Magic Trackpad 2
It did work. I was able to move the cursor while typing on the laptop keyboard without lag

Removing the VoodooI2CHID kext (the one that handles trackpad)
It did work, I was able to move the cursor while typing but lost trackpad gestures

Compiling the kext with master branch of https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2CHID
It did not work

Compiling the kext with https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2CHID/pull/3 Which had a relevant pull request description but is based on a old version of VoodooI2C
It did not work

I keep my EFI up to date on a GitHub for anyone interested
https://github.com/tiredenzo/hackintosh

Any help is appreciated ;)
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Hello

First I want to thanks the community for making all this possible.
I am a new Hackintosher and have managed to install Catalina on a XPS 7590 i9 quite easily using the work the community made available.

I have an issue I’d like to get help with:

While typing on the laptop’s keyboard, the cursor becomes laggy, it blocks. It does not move smoothly, I tend to use the trackpad while typing

To sum up every time I press a key (other than fn or shift) the mouse freezes

What I have tried

Plugging an external Official Magic Trackpad 2
It did work. I was able to move the cursor while typing on the laptop keyboard without lag

Removing the VoodooI2CHID kext (the one that handles trackpad)
It did work, I was able to move the cursor while typing but lost trackpad gestures

Compiling the kext with master branch of https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2CHID
It did not work

Compiling the kext with https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2CHID/pull/3 Which had a relevant pull request description but is based on a old version of VoodooI2C
It did not work

I keep my EFI up to date on a GitHub for anyone interested
https://github.com/tiredenzo/hackintosh

Any help is appreciated ;)
Thanks in advance

Hi tiredenzo,

Thanks for sharing your EFI. I'm trying to install Catalina on my 7590 with i7 CPU. Did you manage to get your brightness controls working and get the laptop to wake up after sleep (assuming you have a 4K OLED screen)? Also, what SSD do you have? Mine came with 1TB Samsung PM981A that does not seem to be compatible with a hackintosh. I'm now looking for an alternative

Thanks

Hi tiredenzo,

Thanks for sharing your EFI. I'm trying to install Catalina on my 7590 with i7 CPU. Did you manage to get your brightness controls working and get the laptop to wake up after sleep (assuming you have a 4K OLED screen)? Also, what SSD do you have? Mine came with 1TB Samsung PM981A that does not seem to be compatible with a hackintosh. I'm now looking for an alternative

Thanks

Hi IlyaEy

I do have an OLED panel

One word on OLED; I'm not a fan of this technology. it does perform really well on videos but really poorly for a Desktop use in dark mode; seems that all quite large (non mobile) OLED panels suffer from vertical banding - meaning that on dark grey you have some banding on the screen (really sucks in dark mode).

if you want to freakout run this video on your OLED

I might get my screen change for an IPS LCD because it performs so bad on greys...
My advice: stick to LCD IPS for laptop / desktop and use OLED on TV mobile where you run media
I do experience some light flicker on dark grey colors (not linked at all to banding) on OSX but I contrasted my desktop in a way to ensure I don't have that annoying flickering, I will see if it goes away with an IPS LCD if I change

As you might know already there is no backlight in OLED screen; you cannot DIM them like an IPS LCD on OSX
That being said I use a paid app 2-3 USD on app store called "night tone"; it does not have the bug the other apps I tried had: meaning it does not "flash" between virtual desktop (need to have true colors mode enable);

It seems though that PWM dimming is the good method of dimming in OLED though, but I'm really no expert
So, eventually, it could be coded I guess :)

I am sorry to hear about your SSD. Mine is a "NVMe TOSHIBA 1024GB Media". If you can get a hold on one of those, it should roll.

Concerning sleep / wake up.
I do have an issue the OLED panel does not wakeup. That does not bothers me that much for now.
It seems some IPS LCD users on another forum have no issues waking up; I think I have the same issue with Ubuntu 18/19.

P.S. You need also to change the WiFi/BT card.

Last edited:
Hi IlyaEy

I do have an OLED panel

One word on OLED; I'm not a fan of this technology. it does perform really well on videos but really poorly for a Desktop use in dark mode; seems that all quite large (non mobile) OLED panels suffer from vertical banding - meaning that on dark grey you have some banding on the screen (really sucks in dark mode).

if you want to freakout run this video on your OLED

I might get my screen change for an IPS LCD because it performs so bad on greys...
My advice: stick to LCD IPS for laptop / desktop and use OLED on TV mobile where you run media
I do experience some light flicker on dark grey colors (not linked at all to banding) on OSX but I contrasted my desktop in a way to ensure I don't have that annoying flickering, I will see if it goes away with an IPS LCD if I change

As you might know already there is no backlight in OLED screen; you cannot DIM them like an IPS LCD on OSX
That being said I use a paid app 2-3 USD on app store called "night tone"; it does not have the bug the other apps I tried had: meaning it does not "flash" between virtual desktop (need to have true colors mode enable);

It seems though that PWM dimming is the good method of dimming in OLED though, but I'm really no expert
So, eventually, it could be coded I guess :)

I am sorry to hear about your SSD. Mine is a "NVMe TOSHIBA 1024GB Media". If you can get a hold on one of those, it should roll.

Concerning sleep / wake up.
I do have an issue the OLED panel does not wakeup. That does not bothers me that much for now.
It seems some IPS LCD users on another forum have no issues waking up; I think I have the same issue with Ubuntu 18/19.

P.S. You need also to change the WiFi/BT card.
Thanks for the advice -- very helpful. Re: WiFi/BT card, which one did you go with? I see people are talking about DW1820A, 1830, and 1560. Some folks seem to have issues with 1560 under Windows10 and the speeds are lower than on 1830. But 1830 is quite a bit more expensive than both DW1820A and 1560...

Thanks for the advice -- very helpful. Re: WiFi/BT card, which one did you go with? I see people are talking about DW1820A, 1830, and 1560. Some folks seem to have issues with 1560 under Windows10 and the speeds are lower than on 1830. But 1830 is quite a bit more expensive than both DW1820A and 1560...
I went for the 1830 I still did not install it though, I like my USB stick :p

This sounds like palm rejection, check the trackpad settings for something like that?

This sounds like palm rejection, check the trackpad settings for something like that?
Hello @pmdevita

Thanks for your reply. I have looked around for a bit. No such settings are available on osx since a few versions apparently.
Are you experiencing the same issue while typing ? we have a similar hardware.

if not would you please share your EFI ?

Thanks in advance

Ah I see what you mean, when I move my cursor and press a key it holds in place for a second. This might be a bug with VoodooI2C, I guess we should go file an issue there

From Voodoo-PS2-Controller github:

Palm rejection/accidental input now honors system trackpad preferences setting "Ignore Accidental Trackpad Input", so you can turn it off. I would not recommend turning it off. The system actually sets three different options when you enable this option in System Preferences ("PalmNoAction While Typing", "PalmNoAction Permanent", and "OutsidezoneNoAction When Typing"). The Trackpad code pays attention to each one separately, although they are all set or cleared as a group. Perhaps there is some command line way of setting them individually.

I will dig here my friend

Last edited:
Disabling palm rejection helped a lot! @pmdevita
it is not perfect but reduced the lag by 10 times, and is usuable enough for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back