Contribute
Register

TP-Link TL-WN851ND 300 Mbps PCI Wi-Fi adapter with OS X El Capitan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus PRIME Z270-A
CPU
Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4,20 GHz
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 630 / EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
[SOLVED] TP-Link TL-WN851ND 300 Mbps PCI Wi-Fi adapter with OS X El Capitan ?

Hello guys I've a new TP-Link PCI Wi-Fi adapter it's the famous TL-WN851ND model I've installed an ar9227 kext (IO80211Family.kext) with Kext Wizard and Wi-Fi is now recognized in Wi-Fi settings but it not founds any Wi-Fi access point :(

Ideas ? Or new kext ? Running OS X El Capitan

Sorry for my bad english

Best regards

Hi Guys,

I installed this kext and now my TP-Link TL-WN851ND 300Mbps works, but after a couple of secs the whole system freezes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

In my case it works but in a few minutes the wifi stop working (it losts the signal and it doesn't find any wifi).

Impossible to enable Wi-Fi after update El Capitan 10.11.2...

If I delete Wi-Fi from the list of connections I can't re add it... ****ing bull****

I did it some test

On my hackintosh with El Capitan 10.11.2 and a PCI card (not pci-e) WN881ND ( 13$ on amazon).
I downloaded DPCIManager | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net

Note the Vendor, device of the Atheros chipset PCI card ,OK I'll have only one info to change .
Edit the PLIST , put my "device" ID in place of another.
Put back the modified KEXT in /System/Library/Extension, witch KextBeast
Reboot the hackintosh..
Tadaaaaam the Airport logo appears now, and it's usable.
5 minutes to have Wifi on the hackintosh :headbang:

EDIT : FREEZE after install , FREEZE after reboot & login ...
Some google search here... And : modification in my Z97 motherboard (Gigabyte) BIOS : MIT/Memory Settings/Memory enhancement settings => Enhanced stability.

EDIT2 : FREEZE again but after 2 or 10 minutes : removing the card :-X :-X , no more Freeze.

Well maybe it's a Gigabyte Z97 new problem: nothing appears in the syslog/messages via Console before freezing. Freeze are not Kernel Panic and so very difficult to analyze.

Have you guys had any luck with this on El Capitan 10.11.2? I am running into problems with the WN881ND, I installed the IO80211Family kext with kextbeast. It shows the wifi sign in the upper right corner but it does not find any networks.
Any help maybe?

I think this card is a very bad idea to use with a Hack.
I just finished building and I get a false sense of security when I boot the system after patching the kext with my device ID, installing with Kext tool, repairing permissions and booting.
I can connect to WiFi fine, I browse, download, have fun.
And then I restart my computer... Crash, crash.. Log in... Three seconds pass, crash. Restart, crash before login screen. Crash again, crash.
I get maybe 10-15 crashes, if I boot in airplane mode, no problem.
As soon as I turn on Wifi, clock is ticking to a crash.
Remove the card, 100% stable.
Stay away from the WN881ND.
ONLY use the 4800 or even a USB stick. This card is BAD news.

So none has any luck with it?
I faced most of these problems too with the modified kext..
It is such a pitty it doesn't work in El Capitan... It was such a straightforward card back in the day.:confused::confused:

The following works for my TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe x1.

Open the file /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist as sudo with a decent text editor (nano, vi, ...) and add <string>pci168c,2e</string> so it looks like

Code:
<string>pci168c,30</string>
<string>pci168c,2a</string>
<string>pci106b,0086</string>
<string>pci168c,1c</string>
<string>pci168c,23</string>
<string>pci168c,24</string>
<string>pci168c,2e</string>

You may have to rebuild caches and repair permissions before rebooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back